County Legislators to Run This Fall

All four of Orange County's state legislators, with 46 years of total experience, will seek re-election.

Democratic Sens. Ellie Kinnaird and Howard Lee and Democratic Reps. Joe Hackney and Verla Insko have served a combined 23 terms, accounting for 46 years of experience in the state legislature.

Lee, who has served six full terms, said he plans to continue focusing on public education.

"First and foremost is education," he said.

"I've been a strong leader to pass legislation to enhance public schools."

Lee also said he will try to help the UNC system's fiscal problems.

"I've been working to protect the university system's financial situation," he said."

Hackney, who is House speaker pro tem and is in his 11th term, said he will continue to try to alleviate the fiscal problems public education is facing.

He added that he will try to help maintain UNC-Chapel Hill's national reputation.

"One of my goals is keeping UNC-Chapel Hill as strong as we can," Hackney said.

Kinnaird, currently in her third term, said she has several goals for her next term. She said she will propose a 10-cent cigarette tax and a 3-cent soft drink tax.

Kinnaird also will concentrate on easing the growing state budget deficit. "I want to put my finger in the dam," she said. "I just want to make sure we don't take from the weak and vulnerable."

Insko will be seeking her fourth term as representative. She is House co-chairwoman of the Legislative Oversight Committee for mental health reform.

She said her key goal for the next term will be mental health reform.

Insko also said the General Assembly needs to put a focus on community colleges and the university system.

"We haven't done what we need to do with community colleges and the university system except for the bond issue," she said.

The filing period for candidates begins Feb. 18 and ends March 1, but this could change if the Justice Department rejects North Carolina's redistricting plan.

The plan was submitted in January, and the Justice Department has 60 days to review it, but lawsuits could prolong the decision.

Lee said working with the same people for several years has been beneficial for the legislators as well as his constituency.

"Each one of us brings our own unique characteristics," Lee said. "The four of us give (Orange County) comprehensive representation."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.