Dating Goes Beyond Dinner, Movie Cliches

But there are students who make an extra effort to break the everyday dating routine and approach courtship with an unique sense of fun and creativity.

For example, junior David Dean and his group of 15 friends spent months planning an elaborate "Charlie's Angels" theme date for 12 girls, turning the ladies into modern-day versions of Farrah Fawcett and company.

The date was planned as a complicated cross between a scavenger hunt and a role-playing game.

"We had a real plot, and they had to do real things. Some of the things they had to do were fun, and some were downright ridiculous," Dean said.

"Our goal was to encourage (our dates) and help them have as much fun as possible."`

Following the conclusion of their adventure, the women settled down to a meal cooked for them by their significant others and proceeded to watch a hidden-camera replay of their escapades.

"What made it most enjoyable was that the girls enjoyed it so incredibly much, and that was the purpose. I can't imagine it going any better then it did," said Dean.

Dating en masse is not the only option that can encourage dating creativity. Outlandish reservations help as well.

Jonny Bennett, a senior religious studies major, celebrated his two-month anniversary with his girlfriend by setting up a private dance party in the sixth floor study lounge of Morrison.

"I was going to South Africa, and we only had three months together until we were separated for seven months, so I wanted to make (the three months remaining) as fun and as memorable as possible," Bennett said.

On that day, Bennett met his girlfriend, Lisa Browning, at Morrison wearing white pants and a white shirt. He led her upstairs to the sixth floor study lounge where she was met by candles, a black light, and a chair with a single rose on it.

Bennett then performed for Browning, dancing to an 'NSync song with his own choreography.

"She laughed a lot and made me do it again. I think she felt really special," Bennett said.

Obviously his antics worked, because a year and a half later, Browning agreed to marry him.

Bennett decided to not stray from a winning formula and to surpass his Morrison performance.

For the proposal, Bennett rented out the Forest Theater. He placed candles around the theatre and had the Clef Hangers, UNC's all-male a cappella group, give a private performance for Browning.

Bennett said coming up with new ideas for dates can be a challenge but said the effort is worth getting a positive reaction.

"Creative is the way to go.

"You start with a simple idea and then add and add until it is so different and random that she would never expect it."