Introverted Band Weezer Becomes Classic, Gains New Fans

4 Stars

Nerd rock is dead. While it might not be as drastic as selling out, Weezer has fallen victim to countless hipster pre-teens.

The once charmingly introverted, alternative band's image has listed toward the trendy and commercialized. The figurative sweater has been destroyed.

But that's not to say Weezer doesn't put on a good show. Standing stoically in the face of crowd-surfers mindlessly pitting the human body against a concrete floor, Rivers Cuomo lit up the stage with a simple "hip hip" and the opening chords of "Island In the Sun."

The frontman seemed almost unaware of the near capacity crowd's roar of approval as he somewhat unenthusiastically went through the song's motions. While perhaps summoning Nirvana allusions -- musical genius who hates performing -- Cuomo and company's low-key attitudes had no adverse effect on the quality of their music.

Weezer sampled from the entirety of their career, including songs from their second album Pinkerton. Interesting, since Cuomo, at one time, swore that none of the album's material would ever be performed.

But fans who had at least hit puberty when Weezer's 1994 debut (The Blue Album) came out, were most appreciative of true Weezer classics "My Name is Jonas," and "Undone (The Sweater Song)." For those few, glorious moments everyone sang the less lyrical parts of the choruses in unison: "daht daht daht daht daht daht daaahh... whoa whoa whoaaa."

Cuomo, slightly more relaxed than when he started, ripped into the tunes, emanating his own figurative battle cry of "Geekdom Unite."

In a final, if not purposely glamorous hoorah, Weezer raised their winged "W" high above the stage as rectangles of shimmering confetti fluttered down from the arena's rafters. The crowd cheered, security guards wiped their brows, pubescents checked their watch and then, then ... Weezer returned.

Again resurrecting the past, the band churned out "Buddy Holly" and "Surf Wax America" -- the perfect encore ending to a musically perfect show.

But the band that made it cool to be uncool must resign themselves to their fate. They are famous now. On one hand it's terrific that Weezer can fill Raleigh's Entertainment & Sports Arena to capacity, on the other hand it's a question of whether they should.

The original fans are jealous and resentful. Their band -- the head bobbing, smile wielding, hippie-loving Weezer we once knew -- has garnered a younger audience. Perhaps it is a sign of music that will stand the test of time. Perhaps it is a sign that Britney Spears has not totally corrupted the world.

But perhaps Weezer doesn't care what we say about them anyway. No they don't care about that.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.