Lang Bounces Back, Leads 2nd-Half Effort

Kris Lang scored 18 points in the second half of Sunday's game after attempting only four shots before halftime.

Kris Lang was virtually nonexistent in the first half of Sunday's 92-77 loss to Maryland. But that's not to say he went unnoticed.

In 14 first-half minutes against Maryland, Lang was 1 for 4 from the field for five points and a lone rebound.

The first-half line from the senior was so uncharacteristic that UNC coach Matt Doherty pulled him aside during halftime and questioned his effort.

"Coach got at me about not playing hard," Lang said.

From Lang, who has consistently praised the Tar Heels' effort throughout the season as their losses accumulate almost as steadily, only one response could be expected.

"I took it personally," he said.

Perhaps Doherty should use this tactic on more of his players. In the second half, Lang torched the Terrapins for 18 points.

With forward Jason Capel in foul trouble, Lang single-handedly re-established UNC's inside game that had been missing in the first half.

After a Jawad Williams 3-pointer to start the half, Lang scored UNC's next four points with his on-again, off-again hook shot, a shot Maryland was unable to defend.

"We have so many guys that can score," said Maryland forward Byron Mouton. "We never have problems scoring. Our main problem is stopping people from scoring."

The problem of stopping Lang was one that would continue to haunt the Terrapins. After coming out for a quick breather, Lang created more havoc in the paint. He used UNC's simplified second-half offense to his advantage, slashing through the paint for uncontested layups, three of which came in a just more than a minute.

"We didn't (run any set plays)," Lang said. "We just wanted to play motion offense. We call it three-game. We just pass and cut and screen, that's it. No secondary, no plays -- almost like street basketball."

Mouton, who has known Lang since the two met on a recruiting trip to N.C. State, noticed the difference.

"He was real relaxed, taking the time, making the moves, and it looked like the old Kris Lang that everybody knows," he said. "We were just trying to contain it and get the win."

Lang's efforts were too little, too late, and Maryland got the win. But by the time the game was over, Lang led all scorers with 23 points. He only finished with three rebounds, as many stray Maryland shots happened to bounce the way of Williams, who had 11. Still, it was clear who was the talk of the Terrapin locker room.

"I think that was one of our mistakes tonight was trying to front Kris Lang," said Maryland forward Chris Wilcox. "Hopefully when we see him again that won't happen."

UNC is currently slated for the play-in game of the ACC Tournament, so the Terrapins seeing Lang again is not so much a "when" but an "if."

But if Lang continues to play the way he did down the stretch on Sunday, a re-match might not be so far off.

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.