Learning Disabilites Office Moves to Larger Space

The LDS office is set to move in April to the Bank of America building on Franklin Street, with more than two times the amount of office space than it has in its current location.

LDS resides in the basement of Wilson Library, in a tunnel of crowded desks and windowless offices that hosts a full staff and serves about 350 students.

The move to Franklin Street is a temporary fix until the Student Services building is completed about six years from now, said Jane Byron, the LDS director.

"This move is really to address our need for space now," Byron said. "We recently did a student survey and one of the top concerns was space."

LD/ADHD specialist Theresa Maitland said the office was too small to accommodate all the students. "It's a bit crowded," Maitland said.

She said the office encounters a heightened space crunch at particular times of the year.

"The population has mushroomed," she said. "We are bulging at the seams. During finals there's so many students, we actually have to work in other offices on campus."

LDS is a campus organization that exists to assist students with learning disabilities and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and help them to reach their full academic potential.

LDS also provides services to further facilitate learning. Students with disabilities meet with staff members to develop a plan to deal with classes and curriculum, learn about self-advocacy and strategy, receive coaching to keep them motivated and provide a supportive learning environment.

"We work with the students to develop a partnership, looking at what are the skills, strategies, techniques that you need to show all that you know," Byron said.

The Bank of America Building location will support several new features that officials hope will continue to propel students with disabilities to achieve academic success.

The features will include more testing space, room for the growing staff, areas for student activities and a resource library that will be open to students and community members.

The library will host books, journals, videos and other sources describing different disabilities and how to cope with them.

Funding for the rental property comes from several different offices on campus that are longtime supporters of LDS, said Byron.

Officials expect a smooth move to Franklin Street, using plans and a committee to facilitate the efforts.

"The good far outweighs the inconvenience," Byron said.

Byron anticipates that the new location will ultimately be a great success with students.

"I think students are going to not only experience a better testing environment, they will feel better supported by the University in their recognition of students with disabilities and ADHD."