National Service Bill Seeks to Restore Draft

The legislation, which is co-sponsored by Rep. Nick Smith, R-Mich., and Rep. Curt Weldon, R-Pa., was originally designed to be militarily focused by requiring draftees to perform military duties.

But the bill was recently rewritten to allow young men a choice to serve in either the military or in a national community service program for between six months and one year, according to a recent press release.

"This responsibility comes with the freedoms we all enjoy," Smith stated in the press release. "The common experience of most men serving their country prior to 1973 had a very unifying effect."

The bill has been referred to the House Armed Services Committee. The bill proposes a 10-year phase-in period beginning with young men who graduate from high school or turn 21 after July 2004. Although women would not be included in the pool of eligible draftees, they would be able to volunteer for service under the bill.

Draftees would spend the first two and a half months of service in a boot camp situation receiving basic training and education. The last four months would be spent working with community service groups such as the Peace Corps, Urban Youth Corps and National Civilian Community Corps.

Joshua Sabin, Smith's press secretary, said Smith proposed the bill because he thinks youth should be more involved in the nation's workings. He said at this point youth are not prepared for future terrorist attacks because they lack appropriate military experience. Sabin said the bill will help ease that problem since Sabin will also push for service initiatives and military readiness with the legislation.

Bud DeFlaviis, Weldon's press secretary, said the proposal is not as narrow as a draft bill and that Weldon and Smith will work closely to change the legislation's focus. "(Weldon) aims to bolster community service," DeFlaviis said. "There are spaces that need to be filled."

He said Weldon is a long-time supporter of fire departments in the United States and wants to increase their manpower and funding through the bill or other such efforts.

But DeFlaviis said attention will also be paid to other first-response programs such as emergency medical assistance. "We must roll up our sleeves and pitch in," he said. "We have a good amount of support after the president's speech."

In his State of the Union Address on Jan. 29, President Bush announced his intention to push for legislation for federally funded community service. Bush said every American should spend two years or a total of 4,000 hours doing volunteer work.

Rep. David Price, D-N.C., approves of any move by the Congress to support the community, said Price's press secretary Bridget Lowell. But Lowell said she is not familiar with the National Service Bill and could not say if Price will support it.

"We have not seen this bill on the horizon," she said. "We are unaware of a bill reinstating the draft."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.