Singles Make Different Valentine's Day Plans

Cupids, hearts, dinner reservations and chocolates for Valentine's Day can stir up mixed feelings among single students on campus.

While some pass it off as just another day, many feel that it can be quite special if you have someone to share it with.

This Valentine's Day, singles all around campus have developed alternate means of spending the day that celebrates the relationships they might not have.

Many women have planned girls- only outings.

Carlette Cavenaugh, a freshman biology major, has her own plans for rebuking Valentine's Day.

"I'm going with my girls on a man-haters skiing retreat,"she said.

Erin Parrish, also a freshman, biology major, plans to go to the mountains with a bunch of girlfriends.

Guys, on the other hand, haven't really given much thought to Cupid's day.

"I hadn't really thought about anything really," said Jeffrey Richburg, a freshman business major. "If you have a girlfriend it's cool, plus my mom always gives me presents."

Jonathan Simpson, a sophomore biology major, also made alternative plans to get away from the holiday.

"I might be going to see Weekend Excursion with a bunch of my friends," Simpson said.

Yet there are some who can be quite cynical about Feb. 14. Justin Follin, a sophomore philosophy major, said he hates the holiday.

"It's such a bad day! I think the entire purpose of Valentine's Day is to point out that the ones who don't have dates, don't in fact have dates," he said.

"It's just a day where people can rub it in your face," he added.

Cavenaugh added that the day is hard because "it seems like everyone is in love."

But some are more ambivalent about singles paranoia on Feb. 14. Parrish said she feels that the holiday is simply a typical day.

"It's just another day that happens to have a special meaning to some people," she said.

TeJ Burns, a junior social psychology major, had only positive views about the holiday.

"As a male, it gives you the chance to do something special for your girl to celebrate all the other good times,"he said. "It should remind us to do stuff that you do on Valentine's Day all the time.

"Being single is bad, but you learn a lot from it, like what you want out of yourself, other people and a relationship."