Tuesday, Feb. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Student Claims Monday's Sports Column Unfairly Stereotypes Fayetteville

I am writing in reference to a column published Feb. 18 entitled "Expansion Excitement Hits ACC." In short, this article was highly offensive. First, the lack of support for the struggling basketball team is appalling. The men's basketball team works extremely hard every day while contributing a great deal to the University. They deserve more respect than criticism in the form of a sorry attempt at humor. Fans, especially students, should be supportive of the basketball team while the program grows and improves. If we the fans expect success, then we owe the team total support.

Secondly, the article defiled the name of Fayetteville. The author of the article is clearly uninformed and has likely never visited the city that he chose to trash. Fayetteville is not in fact filled with strip clubs and crime, and it is certainly not the "laughingstock of the state." A campus directory lists the author's home as New Hampshire, posing serious doubts about his familiarity with Fayetteville. I would assert that if the author were to travel to Fayetteville, he would struggle to find a strip club within the limits of the recently named All-American City. In regards to crime, Fayetteville certainly does not have the highest crime rate in the state, and crime is on the decline in all categories while the population grows. The city's first African-American mayor took office this year as well. Also, assuming that persons responsible for the article enjoy going to school here at Carolina, they might be interested to know that our beloved university was in fact chartered in, you guessed it, Fayetteville, a city on the rise. In the future, I believe columns laced with fallacies belong in the opinion section, if they warrant publication at all.

Thomas L. Nicholson III
Freshman
Business

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for February 5, 2024