Talks Focus on Downtown's Future

The discussion, which ran from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Chapel Hill Town Hall, touched on the possible construction of pedestrian spaces, parks and new two- and three-story buildings.

Peter Batchelor, an architect and professor at N.C. State University, opened the day with a half-hour lecture on urban design. "The purpose of any urban design is to create meaningful space for human social interaction," he said.

Batchelor urged participants to come up with design ideas that will invite people into areas that might be underutilized.

Chapel Hill Planning Director Roger Waldon outlined four areas the town is examining: Parking Lot No. 5 at the corner of Church and Franklin streets, Parking Lot No. 2 at the corner of Columbia and Rosemary streets, the University Square area and West Rosemary Street focusing on Mitchell Lane, which is the largest area.

Included in the Rosemary Street area is UNC's 440 W. Franklin St. building, which houses University business offices.

"The University has been very forthcoming with ideas and thoughts," Waldon said. "The chancellor said he will fully participate in this (discussion) process, and lots of University representatives were here today."

Dianne Bachman, an architect in UNC's Department of Facilities Planning, led an afternoon discussion on Parking Lot No. 5.

Owners of private lands that were discussed were also on hand, including Betty Kenan, owner of property at University Square. While noncommittal, Kenan said she is "open to the suggestions."

After a lunchtime stroll through the downtown areas under consideration, participants broke into small work groups. Upon reconvening, parking and pedestrian issues took center stage.

"It was really hard for (our work group) to stop talking about parking and sidewalks," said Ruby Sinreich, member of the Chapel Hill Planning Board.

Sinreich's group discussed the West Rosemary Street area. The group suggested that the town float a bond package to build more sidewalks there.

Phil Szostak, an area architect, echoed Sinreich. "Rosemary has really been the stepbrother to Franklin Street," he said. "I see a public-private opportunity for improving the cityscape here."

The most hotly debated topic at the work session was parking. Downtown plans could eliminate Parking Lot No. 5, popular among students and shoppers, replacing it with a mixture of commercial and residential structures to complete the wall of two-story buildings on East and West Franklin streets.

Batchelor stressed that no net loss of parking spaces would be acceptable for Chapel Hill, citing underground parking as an option. He also said parking tensions could be eased if UNC provided ample space for student vehicles. The suggestion was met with obvious approval from many audience members. "Seventy-five percent of any urban land area is parking, and so it was no surprise that it was going to be a focus of today's talks," he said.

Ideas generated during the day's discussions eventually will be presented to the Chapel Hill Town Council. Waldon said, "I think we are absolutely ready to take the next step."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.