Tar Heels Hold Off Slow 'Cats

North Carolina struggled against the slow-down offense of undersized and defense-minded Villanova.

His Wildcats held North Carolina to 28 percent shooting, committed only seven turnovers and allowed only one UNC player to score in double figures.

And 'Nova still lost.

Coretta Brown scored 10 of her 15 points in the first half, and UNC overcame a late rally by Villanova on Wednesday to post its fourth straight win, 49-45, at Carmichael Auditorium.

"I thought our 'D' was solid," Perretta said. "I don't know what they're averaging, but I'm sure it's more than 49."

The Wildcats, playing without starting point guard Mimi Riley, used a slow, deliberate tempo to stay with North Carolina, and led the Tar Heels 40-39 with 6:17 to play in the second half.

UNC responded with a 6-0 run, capped by a Nikki Teasley tip-in of her own shot, to take a 45-40 lead and never let 'Nova within three thereafter.

"They controlled the tempo and basically made us play their style," said UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell. "They did what they had to do to win, and they almost did."

Without a player to match up with the Tar Heels' 6-foot-6 center Candace Sutton, Villanova's offense relied on a barrage of perimeter shots and often passed up open looks from inside.

"It was like going up against a wall," said Wildcat center Stephanie Baker of UNC's front line. "Coach said not to drive because you'll run into (Sutton) and get your shot attempt blocked."

The Wildcats matched a school record with 38 3-point attempts but made only nine, which Perretta said was the difference in the game.

"We just didn't make enough 3s to be able to win the game," he said. "You can't win games if you can't get into the 60s, especially on the road."

But UNC barely did enough to win. The Tar Heels set season-lows in nearly every offensive category and once again struggled with their consistency.

Brown, who added 11 rebounds to post her first career double-double, said that while Villanova's game plan frustrated her and her teammates, there was no excuse for the way they played.

"We were basically lethargic the whole game," she said. "We were lucky to win."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.