Tar Heels Tune Up For ACCs

It was the teams' last chance to perfect their techniques, their last chance to get a taste of competition.

And it was their last chance to catch a break before the conference finals.

The men's and women's track and field teams took to the Eddie Smith Fieldhouse on Friday in the Carolina Fast Times meet, the last of the regular season.

Fewer than 10 teams entered the meet, most of which were from North Carolina.

Both the men's and the women's squads rested most of their top athletes, saving them for next week's ACC Championships, which also will be held at UNC's fieldhouse.

But those who did compete in the non-team-scoring meet took another step closer to getting ready for ACCs.

"This meet's more of a tune-up meet," said UNC throwers coach Brian Blutreich. "It's just to fine tune and get ready for next week. It's also an opportunity for people who were hurt to get a couple meets in."

Despite the limited number of competitors, UNC held its own.

Shannon Burns and Anissa Gainey took third in the triple jump and long jump, respectively. Teammate Tatyana Kirichenko equaled their performances by placing third in the high jump with a leap of five feet, six inches.

The Tar Heel women will need similar finishes next week to take home their 13th indoor ACC championship in 14 years.

"It takes a lot of good performances to have a good team performance," Blutreich said. "It is an individual sport, but it's also a team sport."

Like the women jumpers, the men also leapt to the podium.

Blair Woodward took first in the triple jump by clearing 49-9 and second in the long jump with a jump of 23-8 1/4. Teammate Adam Shunk won the high jump while Brent Callaway placed first in the pole vault, clearing 16-6 4/4.

But compared to recent meets, Friday's competition was short and low-key.

There were fewer heats and more room for the athletes to warm up and stretch without running over a fellow competitor.

"This is really nice, having it just on Friday," said UNC's Matt Weiss, who place sixth in the 3,000-meter run. "It's 6:30 on Friday afternoon, and we're done. We kind of get to have the whole weekend."

Junior distance runner Kris Kurjiaka agreed, but said that larger meets allow you to gauge your ability better.

"This was a good meet for this time of the season," Kurjiaka said. "But you have to have the big meets. That's where you get the good competition."

And the Tar Heels will certainly face tougher competition next week at the the biggest meet of the season.

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.