TPAC Nears Decision on Budget, Night Parking

TPAC members broke into groups at the afternoon meeting to discuss proposals and debate possible sources of revenue for the $2 million needed to balance the Department of Public Safety's 2002-03 budget.

"Above all, this is about how to get people to campus," said Bob Knight, TPAC chairman. "It's about access, and it's about safety. Last, but not least, unfortunately, we have to find a way to pay for this."

Many members offered ideas for alternative income sources to counter a proposal to charge for night parking permits.

Some proposed alternatives to charging for night parking include requesting recurring support from the University for fare-free busing, increasing the department's transit tax, increasing the cost of day parking permits and increasing the cost of visitor parking either by raising the amount charged or by charging for more hours during the day.

Some officials also said they support selling special parking permits that would guarantee the permit holder a spot 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Members also debated implementing a night parking permit system that is different from the one TPAC has been considering for several weeks.

Carolyn Elfland, associate vice chancellor for auxiliary services, said feedback gathered Tuesday at three TPAC-sponsored forums made it clear that some free night parking is necessary but permits could be required for certain lots.

Tammy McHale, senior associate dean of finance and planning for the College of Arts and Sciences, said she is opposed to a general night parking permit because the demand for parking on campus is not evenly distributed between North and South campuses.

McHale said she worried students would buy permits and still not be able to find parking on North Campus.

Cheryl Stout, assistant director of parking services, said pairing night permits with particular lots or areas of campus would be difficult because people need to park in different lots on different nights.

After the meeting, members said they were confident they were nearing decisions about the budget and night parking -- issues that have caused debate on campus in recent months.

"I think we are moving in the right direction," said Student Body President Justin Young. "It's a better atmosphere, a more productive atmosphere."