Tuition Hike Threatens Day-Care Program's Availability, School Board's Resources

The board raised the 2002-03 tuition for its day-care program from $675 to $700, which is $25 less than the $725 price tag originally proposed by board member Nettie Collins-Hart for the Pre-K/Head Start program.

"In making these increases we are trying to be sensitive to our community and people's means," said Neil Pedersen, district superintendent. "Seven hundred twenty-five dollars is warranted according to going market rates for programs of this type."

Two hundred seventeen families currently participate in the school district's pre-K day-care program, which provides services like nursing, mental health and family counseling.

The school board deliberated for half an hour before agreeing upon the lesser tuition increase.

Some board members expressed concern that the increase might limit some families' accessibility to the service.

"If we approve the increase to $725, it would indeed inhibit the ability of some families to attend," said board member Elizabeth Carter. "We are in a state of emergency in terms of the economy, and the first people to be impacted are people who rely on programs like ours."

Emily Bivins, executive director of the Pre-K/Head Start program, said that while the smaller tuition increase will have less of an impact on accessibility than the proposed increase, it will put more of a strain on the program's budget because actual program costs are $760 per student.

"The $700 tuition is a great decision for families, but we'll either have to tighten our belts or ask for more money from the local school system budget to support it," Bivins said.

Bivins said if school system money is not forthcoming, certain components of the day-care program could be cut. Things like field trips and instructional materials might be the first to go.

Terry Blanton, the program's director, said many of the services offered by the program are not available at comparable day-care programs in the area.

One hundred thirty-six of the participating families have household incomes that are at or below the poverty level, making them eligible for federal assistance in the form of Head Start funds.

Blanton said that some of the remaining 81 families depend on funding from other nonprofit organizations like the Child Care Services Association or the Department of Social Services. Still others must pay the full tuition.

Officials say it is these families, several of whom are UNC graduate students, that will be most affected by any increase in tuition.

"Even though the board took the tuition down to $700, my overall feeling on this is that many families are still unable to afford it," Blanton said.

Blanton also said the Child Care Services Association and the Department of Social Services' money have dried up significantly in recent months, making it harder for low-income families that are above the poverty level to pay for the day-care program.

"I just got another e-mail today telling me Smart Start (one of the outside funding sources) is making a 15 percent cut," Bivins said.

Blanton said she's not sure what will happen to low-income families above the poverty level who will no longer be able to pay for day care when the tuition goes up.

"If you have the answer for that, you'd make a lot of money."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.