UNC Plugs Holes on Coaching Staff

Football coach John Bunting introduced two new coaches and announced another's promotion Wednesday.

On Wednesday, UNC coach John Bunting began his reconstruction project.

He introduced two assistant coaches new to Chapel Hill, defensive backs coach Jim Fleming and offensive line coach Hal Hunter. And most importantly, Bunting named former linebackers coach and special teams coordinator Dave Huxtable as the Tar Heels' new defensive coordinator.

"I wanted somebody who has defensive coordinator experience; Dave has that," said Bunting, who interviewed three others for the spot vacated when Jon Tenuta left for Georgia Tech. "I wanted to get somebody with energy; Dave has that. I wanted to get somebody with passion; Dave has that.

"I wanted to get somebody that is a communicator -- Dave is all of that. Therefore, the interview process, for me, became relatively easy. It was Dave all the way."

Huxtable joined Bunting's initial coaching staff at North Carolina in January 2001 and had immediate success. He coached a group of linebackers not expected to make large contributions last year, but by season's end Quincy Monk and former walk-on David Thornton were the team's top two tacklers.

But in 2002, Huxtable will have to contend with the a depleted defense, one that returns just three starters from a year ago.

"We lost a lot of defensive players, but I'm certainly not going to throw up the white flag and start this position with an attitude of surrender," said Huxtable, who plans on running a similar, if not more aggressive, defensive scheme in 2002.

Despite the relative inexperience on the defensive side of the ball, Bunting said he was excited about the veteran-by-comparison secondary, which will be coached by Fleming and which Bunting said would be better this coming fall than it was in 2001.

Fleming, who led Div. I-AA Sacred Heart (Conn.) to a 21-1 record during the past two years, also takes over for Tenuta, who also coached defensive backs.

Although Bunting had heard about Fleming before he interviewed him, he said an interview and "chalk-talk" with Fleming sealed the hire.

"Jim knows everything about the defense, from the front to the back end," Bunting said. "He could talk up there with the chalk in his hand and go through various amounts of the sometimes difficult details of the defense."

On top of Fleming's defensive knowledge, Bunting praised his recruiting skill.

"My track record with kids (is) I get close to kids. I have a way to communicate with them," Fleming said. "I think that's something that attracted Coach Bunting in the way I presented myself."

Bunting's other new assistant, Hunter, was hired in mid-January but wasn't introduced to the media until Wednesday.

Bunting said the former Indiana offensive coordinator would help the Tar Heels attain a balanced offense.

"Every place that he's been, they run the football and protect the quarterback," Bunting said.

Hunter said the loss of left tackle Greg Woofter (transfer) and center Adam Metts (graduation) would hurt the offensive line, especially considering the importance of their positions.

Regardless, Bunting was in good spirits throughout Wednesday's press conference.

"I'm extremely excited about the future of the University of North Carolina," he said. "We ain't going south -- we're going north."

Changes Heading into Spring Practice

Bunting said two players would switch to the other side of the ball when spring practice starts March 19. Chase Page will start spring ball on defense, while Jonas Seawright will move to offensive tackle.

Bunting said he would split up the coaching duties for special teams. He said Fleming would likely coach the punt-return team, while Andr