UNC Rolls to 3rd Straight Win

Their calling? To play a game based on Dr. James Naismith's original, and long since changed, rules for the sport.

And that's what they did. But most notable about the discombobulated, unconventional and basically ugly showing at the break was its eerie resemblance to Florida State's first-half performance.

On the strength of an early 25-2 run and the guard combination of Nikki Teasley and Coretta Brown, the No. 24 Tar Heels cruised to a 93-63 win Monday. UNC has won three straight after losing four of its previous five games.

"Carolina did a great job of jumping on us early," said FSU coach Sue Semrau. "Teasley was, I think, the best I've seen her all year."

North Carolina (17-6, 7-4 in the ACC) started the game with a pressure defense that caused fits for FSU (11-11, 2-9). The Tar Heels went to a full-court man press out of the first official timeout at 15:46, and the Seminoles went into their shells.

And by the time Brown took a Teasley cross-court pass and nailed a wide-open, right-wing 3-pointer, UNC was up 30-11 with 9:54 to go in the first half. FSU coach Sue Semrau called a 30-second timeout, but the damage already had been done. The Seminoles committed 15 turnovers in the half.

Throughout the rest of the game, the Tar Heels continued to drain shots with uncharacteristic consistency, connecting on a season-high 54.8 percent. They also assisted on 21 of 34 baskets, with Teasley tallying nine dimes against one turnover.

As she has been throughout the Tar Heels' recent streak, Brown was Teasley's favorite target. The junior guard scored 18 points on 7-of-12 shooting, including 4 of 9 from behind the arc.

"It makes it a lot easier on me when I can pass to someone who can finish," Teasley said.

But Teasley also got into the act Monday night. She beat FSU guard April Traylor time and time again, freeing herself for drives or long-range bombs. Her five treys tied a season-high, and she finished with a game-high 22.

Perhaps the most encouraging part of the Tar Heels' blowout win was their balance, particularly in the frontcourt. Jennifer Thomas and Candace Sutton each totaled 12 points, and Thomas grabbed nine rebounds.

"She's playing defense and she's boxing out," said UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell of Thomas. "She gives us some experience that settles us a little bit."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.