Actress: Turn Critical Eye to Government

Woodard, a social activist and an Emmy award-winning actress, came to the University to give the eighth annual Sonja H. Stone Memorial Lecture. The lecture is in honor of Stone, who spent 17 years at the University before her death in 1991 and after whom the Black Cultural Center is named.

Woodard's speech, entitled "An Evening of the People's Poetry and the State of the Union," focused predominantly on the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and their aftermath, including Americans' initial reactions.

"Last September a furious blow was dealt to the body of the American people -- a blow that should have taken us to our knees," Woodard said. "I didn't see the manufactured America of Hollywood. ... I saw the real America -- she was textured and alive."

Following the attacks, Woodard said, American flags began appearing everywhere. "As a show of mourning and respect and resolve, we held on to our flag to say we are still here."

But Woodard said this began to indicate what she called a false sense of patriotism.

"It started out as a beautiful and spontaneous show of solidarity, but eventually it took on another dimension," Woodard said. "The flag represented a rising sense of us against them."

Woodard also said she disagrees with the American military attacks on Afghanistan. "We have unlimited resources compared to the rest of the world, and we have always claimed the higher ground -- let us step up on it.

"If we fear that terrorism will strike again, it would be wise to make a concerted effort to diffuse its causes" rather than simply direct military force at an unclear enemy, she said.

The attempts to limit criticism of President Bush and his administration are a blatant violation of civil rights, Woodard said. "Where does (Senate Minority Leader) Trent Lott think we live? Americanistan?" she said.

Woodard said the administration has been busy undermining social justice while American citizens have been distracted by the events of Sept. 11.

"We must begin multi-tasking," she said. "We are smart enough to protect our home and at the same time protect our civil liberties.

"We must remain awake. We have to remember that this is an administration that took office in the biggest voting fraud in recent history."

Woodard said social and economic inequalities "strangle the lives of millions of Americans every day."

She pointed out that it is unfair that just last August there was no money to fight the "war on poverty," but now there are billions of dollars to be spent on warfare.

This is a crucial point in our history, Woodard said. "We must shake off hibernation and get back to the basics of securing a decent quality of American life for all citizens."