Apple Chill to Expand Westward

The University and the area around UNC's Ackland Art Museum also will be included in the annual street fair this year. Arts Carolina and the Ackland Art Museum staff are assisting in planning the fair, and student organizations will perform outside of the museum, according to a memorandum written Monday by Town Manager Cal Horton to the Chapel Hill Town Council.

Council member Jim Ward said including the area outside the Ackland in the fair's property will increase the quality of the fair. "Working its way into the University will enrich the event," Ward said.

Council member Dorothy Verkerk added that having the fair on University property will lead to more student participation and a better relationship between UNC and the town of Chapel Hill.

Ward said the popularity of the event caused the need for more space.

"It's a very popular event," Ward said. "Expanding it gives more opportunity for people to participate."

Town Council member Pat Evans said an increase in attendance called for a larger area. "There has been more interest," Evans said. "More and more people come, so there needed to be more space."

Downtown Commission Director Robert Humphreys said the growth of Apple Chill will benefit the community.

"They are expanding the scope for the 30th anniversary," Humphreys said. "It's a way for the community to come together."

Verkerk noted problems from previous years as reasons for this year's increase in space.

"Apple Chill was getting crowded," Verkerk said. "Last year we turned away 60 venders. We didn't want to have to turn people down.

"Expanding it to the Ackland Art Museum is a wonderful way of bridging the town and University."

Town officials said the town's $1.4 million budget shortfall will not affect the fair and that the number of vendors was not increased to increase revenue.

"It's not about money," Humphreys said. "It's about having a bigger and better fair."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.