Budget Cuts May Affect Carrboro Parks, Arts

Since Gov. Mike Easley's decision to withhold funds from state municipalities to compensate for a $900 million state deficit, the town anticipates losing $299,284. The town's budget for the 2001-02 fiscal year is $12.3 million.

Vision 2020 is a comprehensive project with the goal of improving downtown Carrboro by making it more pedestrian-friendly. The plan was introduced as a way to cater to all Carrboro residents by emphasizing local arts and providing every resident with a voice in the community.

Carrboro Planning Department Director Roy Williford said he believes that while certain aspects of the plan might be delayed, the Board of Aldermen is working to ensure that the town won't be severely affected. "The board is trying to do as much as it can to not affect the raw maintenance of the town," Williford said.

Although the town's basic needs might not be affected by this year's budget cuts, Williford said aesthetic improvements -- namely those involving parks -- might fall under the chopping block.

One important aspect laid out in the Vision 2020 plan involves the beautification of Carrboro through an increase in the development and maintenance of parks.

The town anticipated receiving a fraction of the $20 million in funds set aside for parks and recreation in the $75 million bond package passed by Orange County voters last fall.

But because of budget shortfalls, Williford believes Orange County might slash the town's portion of the bond money and that as a result the town will have to cut down on the creation and beautification of parks.

"Park development may be affected, not so much by our board, but by the Orange County (Commissioners)," Williford said.

This is not an option outside the realm of possibility. At last week's board meeting, Mayor Mike Nelson asked town staff to develop a report on money the town could save by cutting down on parks.

While Williford said he thinks development might be slowed down in the parks, he believes park upkeep could be affected immediately.

Alderman Joal Broun said some funding is going to have to be cut, making the status of parks an immediate concern for the town. "Operating and our ability to maintain parks will be tough," she said.

Williford said the cuts will hurt Vision 2020's dedication to arts and culture.

While parks and arts might be sacrificed in the short term to ensure the project's success in the future, Williford said he thinks the most significant cuts will be associated with other town areas. "I believe that major cuts will be associated with any capital improvements," he said.

Broun had similar feelings and said the budget cuts could have a big impact on several other areas, including the maintenance of some roads, the 4th of July celebration and the annual Carrboro Day.

Broun said that while this year's fiscal situation is dire, next year will fall victim to the domino effect because Carrboro will be confronted with a second year of budget shortfalls and increased revenue loss. "The big impact of the budget shortfall is not this year," Broun said.

"This year we will not be able to save any money, and that will hurt next year."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.