Forum Focuses on Students' Tuition Concerns

About 30 students attended the event, which was sponsored by the Young Democrats. The forum brought together three panelists who provided diverse perspectives and insights into the tuition debate.

Earlier this month, the UNC-system Board of Governors approved a plan that raises tuition at all 16 system campuses by 8 percent for in-state students and 12 percent for out-of-state students. The BOG also passed a $300 increase for UNC-Chapel Hill. The increases will go into effect next year pending approval by the N.C. General Assembly.

Panelist and Student Body President-elect Jen Daum expressed her concern about the tuition increases, which she said will affect both current students and high school students who might consider attending UNC.

"Students in college already do not want tuition raised, but it has also been my experience that high school students think (UNC-CH) is as expensive as Duke (University)," she said. "This is a myth that is not being adequately addressed by the administration and, unfortunately, is becoming a reality."

Daum said she is especially concerned that the tuition increases might discourage lower-income high school students from applying to UNC-CH.

"I don't think we protest because we are self-interested," she said. "My real concern is that I think I will be exposed to a far less diverse group of students as a result of the increases."

But panelist Shirley Ort, director of scholarships and student aid, said the University will continue to meet the financial needs of students who want to attend UNC-CH.

"This University has one of the strongest commitments I've ever seen in public education to keeping college affordable for students in need of financial aid," she said.

Ort said UNC-CH, unlike many other universities, is able to provide funding for all students who demonstrate need and follow application deadlines. She said grants comprise 65 percent of financial aid allocations, while loans and work-study programs provide the remaining 35 percent of funds.

"Our tuition enhancement grants packaged with other money we receive allow us to 100 percent meet the needs of students who apply for aid on time," she said.

Panelist Steve Brooks, executive director of the N.C. State Education Assistance Authority, also said financial aid programs would be successful in offsetting the costs of tuition increases, particularly for lower-income N.C. residents.

"Families making $50,000 a year or less can now go to Carolina for less than they would have paid five years ago, while families making more than $100,000 will be paying more," he said. "I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing."

Although Brooks said his office will administer about $400 million in student aid for state students this year, he acknowledged that the tuition increases might have the greatest effect on middle-income families.

He said "There are always ways to finance education with loans, but there is always a group that just misses out."