Local Officials Warn Latino Community About Scams

One scam is associated with the Fiesta del Pueblo event and the other with invalid international driver licenses.

Local officials say they are actively reaching out to protect the Latino community from scams that aim to profit from some group members' lack of knowledge about state and local policies.

The Chapel Hill Police Department is alerting the local Latino population about two scams -- a telemarketing scam that might have originated from the Fiesta del Pueblo event held in town last September and a second one that distributes invalid international driver licenses for exorbitant fees.

According to official complaints filed with the state Office of the Attorney General on Feb. 25, there were two victims in the September scam. Both reported that they received a call from someone who falsely told them they had won a new car that they had registered for during Fiesta del Pueblo last year.

According to an official report from the attorney general's office, one of the victims reported that he received a call from someone who claimed to be an employee of "Sabado Gigante," a popular Latino television program.

The caller informed the victim that he had won a new car and said the victim needed to pay taxes on the vehicle before it could be delivered. The victim was told to send $600 electronically through Western Union to a "Pablo Gomez" in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

The caller also told the victim that a television crew would film the presentation of the automobile when it was delivered to his or her home.

But after the victim sent the money, neither the film crew nor the car ever arrived.

The Consumer Protection Division of the attorney general's office is working with Chapel Hill police officials to investigate possible suspects in the case.

While police officials continue to investigate, Charlie Pardo, a patrolling officer in the community services unit, said he has alerted local Latino businesses, churches and employers of Latinos.

"I've been doing a lot of community outreach with the Latino community," Pardo said.

"If this scam is happening to the Latino population, we need to let them know."

Noelle Taylor, assistant public information officer of the attorney general's office, said this type of fraud is fairly common.

"It's often used against elderly people," Taylor said. "(But) this is the first time our office has seen this target Latinos. Usually the scam artists take advantage against someone's ignorance."

It is illegal in North Carolina and the United States to require an advance payment in order to receive a prize, she said.

In addition, the attorney general's office and Chapel Hill police officials have been investigating the second scam, which involved companies who claim to issue valid international driver licenses, but require up to $200 in payment.

According to a report from the attorney general's office, some companies are specifically targeting Latinos and other immigrants to North Carolina who might be unfamiliar with the process for obtaining a valid driver license.

A valid N.C. driver license can only be issued by the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles and costs $10.

But Taylor said the driver license scam is unrelated to the telemarketing scam. "The (driver license scam) is a separate issue," she said.

Pardo said scam victims' general lack of knowledge about state laws regarding fraud can prevent them from coming forward to report the crime.

"There's probably a lot more victims who are too embarrassed to say they've been scammed," he said.

In the meantime, Pardo said all local residents should be careful of illegitimate sweepstakes contests and other scams.

"If they ask the money up front, that should be a red flag," Pardo said. "Hopefully, people will be more aware."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.