Men's Swimmers Place 3rd As UVa. Dominates

Virginia's men's swimming and diving team won the ACC championships by 291.5 points this weekend.

Virginia won its fourth consecutive conference title with 872 points while Georgia Tech finished second with 580.5 points and the Tar Heels were third with 501.5. Quinn's record-breaking time of 1:56.39 automatically qualified him for the NCAA Championships later this month.

Softball Goes 1-2 at 'Bama

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - After losing to Alabama 8-0 on Friday, the UNC softball team split a pair of games at the Crimson Classic on Saturday, beating Western Kentucky 5-1 and falling 10-0 to Alabama.

In their first game, the Tar Heels scored two runs in the top of the third and three in the top of the fourth to seal the win. Then, for the second day in a row, they were shutout by No. 14 Alabama, losing 10-0 in five innings.

The second day of the Classic was canceled on Sunday due to inclement weather.

UNC is 8-7 overall.

Gymnastics Places 1st in Raleigh

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The UNC gymnastics team claimed first place and set a school team-total record at the N.C. State Invitational on Friday with a score of 196.150. The Tar Heels also set a school total-vault record of 49.050.

Tracksters Compete at USATF Event

NEW YORK - UNC throwers Ian Douglas and Sal Gigante competed in the USA Track & Field Indoor Championships Friday in New York City. Gigante placed 12th in the 35-pound weight throw, while Douglas finished 12th in the shot put.