Minugh Slated to Take Reins, Become DTH's 136th Editor

Minugh, a junior journalism and history major from California, serves as the DTH's managing editor. She joined the staff during the fall of her freshman year.

Minugh said she was with her boyfriend and her roommate when she found out she was selected.

After calling her mother, she spent the rest of the day on Franklin Street and at the Streets at SouthPoint and went out to dinner. "It was very exciting," Minugh said. "We just wanted to make a good day out of it."

The 11-member Editor Selection Committee met for about five hours Saturday. The committee began by interviewing each of the three candidates: Minugh, City Editor Kellie Dixon and State & National Editor Alex Kaplun. The candidates made opening statements and, after receiving questions, had five minutes to close.

In her hourlong interview, Minugh said she was asked about things such as her platform, her editor application and her vision for the paper. The committee elected Minugh in a single vote.

Calvin Hall, a graduate student in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication who is not on the DTH staff, sat on the committee. Hall said he was impressed with all three candidates. "I really didn't have a problem with anyone who had been chosen," he said.

Hall said Minugh had a strong interview. "It was her overall professionalism," he said. "They all were (professional), but she seemed pretty self-assured in a lot of dimensions."

Four staff members of the DTH also sat on the committee, including freshman Jeff Silver, a staff writer on the University Desk. He said the decision was tough but that he thinks they made the right choice.

"Kim really displayed a passion for the newspaper, and she really made me think that the DTH could do some incredible things next year," Silver said. "I was really impressed."

Senior Kate Hartig, DTH Editorial Page editor, sat on the committee as well. She has watched all three candidates since they joined the staff, and she said their talents made the decision difficult.

"Each one of them could have done a great job," Hartig said.

Hartig said Minugh is personable and cares about the staff and the interests of the paper. "Kim has definitely worked her way up, and she's very dedicated to the paper," she said. "She's going to be a great leader for this paper."

Minugh said she was grateful the committee recognized her hard work. "I feel absolutely elated," she said.

Katie Hunter, the current DTH editor, graduates this year, leaving the office to Minugh. Hunter commended Minugh for her work. "I'm very happy for Kim," she said. "She has worked very hard to get where she is, and she's one of the best editors, especially teaching editors, that I've ever worked with."

Hunter also said she predicts next year to be one of the best years in DTH history. "I'm very excited about the future of the DTH," she said.

Minugh said she was a little sad this year was coming to an end, but she added, "Every new year brings new possibilities for fun, excitement and challenge.

"It's going to be a great year."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.