Petrone, Tar Heels Edge Georgia Tech

Although there wasn't a tiebreaker, the final match of the day between Marcio Petrone and Roger Anderson decided Sunday's ACC clash between North Carolina and Georgia Tech at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. In the end, UNC won 4-3.

Like the rest of the Tar Heels (9-4, 2-0 in the ACC), which once trailed the Yellow Jackets 3-1, Petrone was down to No. 28 Anderson early. But he pulled out the win with a second-set rally and a strong third set to win 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.

"It came down to focus," Petrone said. "Not concentrating on winning or losing, but focusing on every point."

The key game for Petrone came at 4-4 in the third, in which Petrone began with a 40-love lead. Petrone lost four straight points, giving Anderson an advantage for the break.

But Petrone fended off the attack and won the game, putting him up 5-4. Petrone then coasted to a break of serve and won the match with a forehand winner down the line.

"He had been playing unbelievable tennis in the first two sets," Petrone said of Anderson. "I tried my best and hung with him, but I knew he couldn't play the whole match."

Aside from Petrone's win and Daniel Pinchbeck's 6-2, 6-4 victory against Jao Menano, Sunday's singles play was filled with match-changing tiebreakers.

UNC's two singles losses hinged on a momentum shift after a first-set tie-break. Nicholas Monroe fell to Schott Shnugg 7-6 (7-5), 6-4, while teammate Geoff Boyd lost to Stephen Monroe 7-6 (7-3), 6-2.

Both players lost their composure, and their matches, after the tiebreak loss.

The only Tar Heels successful in tiebreak situations were Andy Metzler and Trystan Meniane. Both players recorded straight-set, tiebreak wins, with Metzler topping West Nott 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (9-7), and Meniane defeating David Wright 7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (12-10).

"We played well on the big points," said UNC coach Sam Paul. "The thing is that we fought until the end."

The Tar Heels entered their singles matches down a point after the Yellow Jackets (9-8, 2-3 in the ACC) won two of three doubles matches.

Boyd and Nicolas Monroe lost the No. 1 doubles match 8-5 to Anderson and Wright, and the Tar Heels' No. 2 doubles team of Petrone and Greg Archer lost 8-4 to Nott and Schnugg. Meniane and Pinchbeck picked up UNC's only doubles win with an 8-6 win against Fabio Campos and Menano.

Paul was pleased with the determination his team demonstrated in the win.

Said Paul, "When they have a deep team, and we have a deep team, you just have to keep on scratching away to win."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.