Saturday Workshop To Aid Town Council With New Ordinance

Town Council members want resident input in crafting the new development ordinance, part of Chapel Hill's Comprehensive Plan.

The ordinance was brought to the forefront at a Jan. 28 council meeting when members debated the creation of a new ordinance. At that meeting, the council decided to halt all future area development until a new ordinance could be constructed.

The ordinance, which is set to be finished and approved in September, will set guidelines for future development in Chapel Hill.

Town Council members said that, at the workshop, members of the Chapel Hill planning staff will give a presentation to the attendees on issues including stormwater controls, affordable housing and transportation improvements.

After the presentation, residents will be able to ask the officials about concerns they have regarding the ordinance.

"Right now we're working the kinks out of the second draft (of the ordinance)," said council member Mark Kleinschmidt. "We need to have residents come see how the ordinance will affect town growth." The workshop also will facilitate a discussion in which residents will be able to share their opinions about what the ordinance should include.

The ordinance is being updated in conjunction with the Comprehensive Plan, an outline of the Town Council members' goals for the town.

"The last ordinance was written in 1985," said council member Dorothy Verkerk. "(The current ordinance) doesn't address things like stormwater management.

"The Comprehensive Plan calls for the rewriting of the town ordinance."

Chapel Hill Mayor Kevin Foy said the workshop is one of several that will gauge town input.

"This is part of an ongoing effort to involve the community in writing the development ordinance," Foy said.

Verkerk said it is town policy to include residents when making decisions. "We always have a lot of community input," she said. "That's the way we work in Chapel Hill."

Verkerk also said she thinks the ordinance will be more successful with ideas from the community.

"When people buy into them, things tend to work better," she said.

"It may take longer, but I think it's worth it."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.