SBP-Elect Taps New Officers

SBP-elect Jen Daum and GPSF President-elect Branson Page announced their choices for next year's officers Friday.

Student Body President-elect Jen Daum announced her nominations for officers Friday, naming junior Aaron Hiller as student body vice president, junior Rebecca Williford as student body secretary, junior Michael Vollmer as student body treasurer and sophomore Rebekah Burford as chief of staff.

The offices of vice president, secretary and treasurer will be sworn in April 2, pending approval by Student Congress on Tuesday.

"I'm really looking forward to working with this group of people," Daum said.

Daum said Hiller, who has been actively involved with the judicial branch of student government, was an excellent choice for vice president.

"He has an extremely impressive record of accomplishment at UNC," she said. "He is dedicated, passionate and committed to student self-governance, as well as having the effective administrative capabilities to handle external appointments."

Daum and Hiller both said his experience with the judicial branch would help the administration work well with the other branches of student government.

Hiller said he expects to be very involved if confirmed as Daum's vice president. "I'm Jen's go-to man -- I see myself laying down the groundwork for the projects she's working on," he said. "We complement each other wonderfully -- she is an outspoken fighter, full of energy, and I am a quieter worker."

Daum said she chose Williford for secretary because of her commitment and engaging personality. "Rebecca is an extremely hard worker, very intelligent, capable and organized," Daum said. "She is a pleasant person to work with."

Williford said her experience as a member of the Disabilities Advisory Committee has helped her refine her skills as a communicator. "I want to take my experiences working as an advocate for the disabled and apply them to the entire University community," she said.

Vollmer served as assistant student body treasurer in Student Body President Justin Young's administration, an experience that Daum said gave him the edge for the student body treasurer position.

Vollmer said he will focus on increasing accountability in student groups' spending and keeping an accurate count of student fee money.

Daum also named Burford to act as her chief of staff. The position will be an officer position this year for the first time. Applications were not taken specifically for the position -- Daum chose Burford from the pool of applicants for the other offices.

Daum was not the only one to name officers this weekend -- GPSF President-elect Branson Page also chose his executive board.

Page selected Stephanie Schmitt as vice president of external affairs, Dan Herman as vice president for internal affairs, Abi Sommer as secretary, Erin Peterson as treasurer and Emily Williamson as chief of staff.

"While I really want to be sure there's a diverse group of people, the people on the executive board have a lot of experience with UNC and the way things here work, so I think that will benefit us," he said.

Page said several Cabinet positions are still open. Anyone interested in applying for those positions should contact him via e-mail at branson@unc.edu.