School Board Discusses Minority Achievement Plan

The program, in its first year of implementation, was developed to eliminate the difference in academic achievement between white and minority students.

The special meeting was called as a result of concerns raised by members of the community at Feb. 21 and March 7 board meetings regarding the Minority Student Achievement Plan report.

"There was considerable community input," school board Vice Chairwoman Teresa Williams said. "We wanted to talk specifically about the issue without impeding another issue."

Achievement plan staff members led the work session, and community members were encouraged to attend.

Comments from the community displayed dissatisfaction with the rate of the plan's success thus far.

"(Residents) expressed frustration about the lower achievement of minority students," school board member Lisa Stuckey said. "We've made progress, but we have a lot more to make."

School board Chairwoman Valerie Foushee said the board had an obligation to address the many issues raised by town residents.

"There was so much public comment from members of the community," Foushee said. "It's incumbent upon the public body to respond."

Williams said that minority achievement is a top priority for the board and that thorough discussion of the plan is necessary.

"We wanted to have an extended conversation," Williams said. "Minority student achievement is the priority at this point in time."

Stuckey said the purpose of the meeting was to evaluate the plan and assure it works in the way it was planned.

"My goal is making sure we do actually make progress," Stuckey said.

"We need to make sure the plan is put into effect and carried out properly."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.