Tar Heels Withstand Denver 2nd-Half Rally to Win

UNC overcame seven second-half goals by the Pioneers to remain unbeaten before its game with Duke.

He just wasn't happy with its results.

Munro's Pioneers had been dominated by the Tar Heels in almost every aspect of the game and trailed 6-1.

In fact, the only category in which Denver was UNC's equal was saves. The Pioneers' Jeff Nunziato and the Tar Heels' Paul Spellman stopped six shots.

"We were playing hard, but we weren't playing smart," Munro said. "We came out in the second half and did everything smart."

The Pioneers did just about everything right, too.

Denver out-scored UNC 7-3 in the second half, including a Matt Brown hat-trick, and almost pulled off its second near-upset in a week before falling 9-8 at Fetzer Field.

The Pioneers were tied at No. 1 Syracuse on March 10 before the Orangemen finished the game with a 4-1 run to win 13-10.

After being held to one goal on 10 shots in the first half Sunday, Denver quickly established its offensive presence in the second half.

Pioneer defender Cory Vann picked up a UNC turnover and took it the length of the field to score at 12:48 of the third quarter. The Pioneers (3-3) added two more goals and ended the third quarter trailing 7-4.

The Tar Heels (5-0) picked up two goals from freshman Jed Prossner to take a 9-5 lead. Prossner's second goal at the 8:03 mark of the fourth quarter came after he spun past his defender on the right wing and rifled a shot to the far post over Nunziato's shoulder.

Prossner, who finished the day with four points, said he was motivated for the game, especially with Wednesday's matchup against Duke looming large.

The No. 6 Blue Devils are 3-1 after a 15-7 victory against Dartmouth on Saturday.

"Headed into the Duke game on Wednesday, we needed some momentum to carry," Prossner said. "And I tried to do that."

Down four with eight minutes to play, Denver ran off three goals, the last of which came at 2:11 with the Pioneers on an extra-man advantage. Denver attackman Erik Swanson was involved in all three goals, scoring the first and assisting on the other two.

But the Tar Heels, which got goals from seven different players, held onto their one-goal lead and were able to waste the final two minutes off the clock.

"I felt we ran out of time, in the sense that we were right there at the end," Munro said. "I'm sure the Tar Heels are glad there weren't another five minutes left in the game."

UNC coach John Haus said he's not sure what's been happening to his squad during the halftime break.

"I wish I had an answer," he said. "We haven't played well in the second half in the past few games."

Prossner said if the Tar Heels play a similar game Wednesday, they'll lose.

"We came out in the second half slow and flat-footed," he said. "Today just wouldn't cut it against Duke."

But senior midfielder Pat Jackson, who had two assists, said that overcoming poor play might have been what UNC needed to get ready for the Blue Devils.

"Hanging onto that fourth-quarter lead was something we haven't done in past years," he said. "To tell you the truth, I'd rather have this kind of win than a blowout."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.