UNC Merit Scholars Quadrupled

UNC enrolled 145 freshman Merit Scholars for the 2001-02 school year, up from 137 last fall.

"Carolina is in a fortunate position where it doesn't have to sell itself," said Dan Thornton, spokesman for the UNC Office of Scholarships and Student Aid. "We rank in about the top 10 (for Merit Scholars enrolled)."

UNC enrolled few merit scholars until 1999, when the school began providing scholarships to National Merit scholars in conjunction with the National Merit Scholarship Corperation. In 1998 only 38 scholars enrolled. The number increased to 92 students in fall 1999.

"That's what I expected would happen," said Jerome Lucido, UNC director of undergraduate admissions. "We didn't participate historically because we didn't want an independent agency to determine our scholarship winners."

Lucido said he thinks other schools were recruiting hard and taking National Merit Scholars away from the UNC applicant pool until UNC became a National Merit sponsor.

"We didn't do it to simply increase our number of Merit Scholars or to raise our rank in a book," Lucido said. "These very bright students are already considering us. We are saying to them, 'The University of North Carolina wants to recognize and celebrate your achievement.'"

The list of colleges enrolling the highest number of freshman Merit Scholars showed significant changes this year.

Princeton University enrolled 156 freshman Merit Scholars for the 2001-02 school year, up 50 from last year -- the largest increase in the country. Harvard University led the nation with 360 freshman scholars, down from 382.

Gloria Ladendorf, spokeswoman for the National Merit Scholarship Corporation, said finalists are usually admitted to a number of universities.

UNC offers $1,000 awards to Merit Scholars who do not receive other funds. In situations of financial need, Merit Scholars might get as much as $2,000. Packages are renewable over four years.

But Thornton said that even with National Merit sponsorship, UNC's strong reputation means it does not have to offer generous packages like many other schools.

Lucido said offering more money to Merit Scholars would only be beneficial if the packages were significantly higher but added that he wants to offer more merit-based awards -- something he said UNC Chancellor James Moeser plans to accomplish. "There are a number of students (who are not Merit finalists) who are the cream of the crop and deserve more."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.