Widening Columbia Debated

UNC Hospitals wants to add lanes to South Columbia Street, but residents say it would cause more problems.

UNC Hospitals officials started the meeting by presenting the residents with information on the University's reasons for widening the road. Officials are considering the prospect of expanding South Columbia Street into a boulevard-style four-lane road in an effort to improve access to hospital facilities.

The meeting started at 6:30 p.m. and within 20 minutes, residents chimed in with questions and arguments against the proposal.

In a letter dated March 1, UNC Chancellor James Moeser asked Mayor Kevin Foy to request a feasibility study on the roadway from the N.C. Department of Transportation.

Mary Beck, senior vice president of planning and program development at UNC Hospitals, said the purpose of the meeting was to inform residents about plans to conduct a roadway study and receive suggestions on it.

"It takes several years to conduct a study, and we believe the time is right to ask for options how," Beck said. "We recognize that a lot of input would be required from everyone."

Beck said one of the main reasons for expanding the road is to improve access for hospital staff, patients and emergency vehicles.

"Our staff has complained vehemently about traffic congestion in the area," she said. "People come in all day long, and they get caught up in traffic."

Beck said alleviating traffic congestion is a key aspect in the recruitment and retention of nurses and other health care workers because fewer traffic problems make the area more attractive.

But residents said widening the road would attract more traffic and create additional roadway problems.

"It seems to me that you're just encouraging more traffic (in the area)," said Lexie Simpson, of 3 Penick Lane.

Charles Murphy, a resident of South Columbia Street, said he thinks trying to find parking near UNC Hospitals is a bigger challenge than fighting road congestion. "Traffic isn't the problem --

parking," he said.

Beck acknowledged parking as an issue but re-emphasized that hospital officials would research various traffic-related issues through the study with the NCDOT.

"I'm the last person to say that parking isn't a problem," she said. "What we're asking here is a study; we're not saying the road absolutely has to be widened."

Beck assured residents that UNC officials plan to incorporate resident comments and criticisms in the roadway study. The findings will be presented to Moeser and the town.

"What I plan to do is summarize what I've heard and kind of make a list of the issues."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.