This year's event, which drew about 44,000 people, stretched from Raleigh to Mallette streets and swelled to include part of South Columbia Street. About 66 officers patrolled the event.

While funnel cakes and fried candy bars were abundant, some found themselves drawn to more traditional summer treats.

John Wakeford and his son Matthew sat on the brick wall outside of Subway enjoying their Eddy's mint chocolate chip ice-cream cones.

"Mom's going to be mad when we get home," Wakeford told a grinning Matthew as he dripped ice cream down his shirt.

Apple Chill, the town's annual street festival sponsored by the Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation Department, showcased a variety of arts and crafts and gave vendors a chance to peddle their crafts. Some took advantage of the event and used it to draw dollars for a good cause.

Wendy Lybrand and Mackenzie Denniston, both teachers at Smith Middle School, stood in the middle of East Franklin Street with a bucket at their feet to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The duo started at 2 p.m. and raised $200 by 4 p.m. "We're trying to get donations for research and patient care," Lybrand said. "Everybody knows someone with cancer, and the research will hopefully find a cure."

Farther down West Franklin Street, motorcycles growled to a halt as their riders lined the bikes up for the "After Chill" motorcycle rally -- another annual event, one not sponsored by the town, that takes place later in the day. More than 80 motorcycles lined the street.

In addition to the arts and crafts, Apple Chill included other child-oriented events. Parking lot No. 5 became the "Kid Zone" and the home to a variety of rides, including a colorful enclosed obstacle course resembling a caterpillar. "It's so windy in there, so it makes me cooler," said 6-year-old Paden Earnhardt.

Teenagers got an opportunity to show off their talents this year. As part of the festival's effort to promote local bands, a teen stage was set up for aspiring musicians.

Seventeen-year-old Jonathan Schwartz, drummer for two of the bands that performed Sunday, said the experience was positive. "We could have done better (today), but we had a lot of problems," said Schwartz of his band Deluge. "We thought we were going to have more time, but it's exposure."

As spectators strolled past the exhibits, strains of music could be heard floating from seven stages dotting Franklin and Columbia streets.

Chapel Hill resident Barbara Duffy said she was especially inspired by Mali, a Christian rock band that performed on the festival's main stage, which was hosted by G105. "I think (Mali's) music is absolutely inspirational," Duffy said. "It's a great message not only for Chapel Hill but for the nation."

About five hours later, once the police had finished clearing the streets and the barricades were removed, engines thundered as cars lined up Franklin, Rosemary and Henderson streets.

"This is the aftermath of Apple Chill," said senior journalism major Alex Rhodes. "I think the post-Apple Chill is a chance for people to show off their rides."

Police said they were not making a concerted effort, outside of normal enforcement, to manage the crowd.

But others expressed frustration with the congregation. Mike Demeo, a sophomore economics major who lives behind McDonald's on West Franklin Street, said more than 30 motorcycles congregated outside the restaurant.

"I have to write a paper tonight, and I could not hear myself think."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.