'Bridge Author' to Speak at Chapel Hill Public Library

But members of the Friends of the Chapel Hill Public Library know him as something altogether different: a hilarious kick in the pants.

Marlette's witty reputation made him an easy choice for the FCHPL's monthly Meet-the-Author Tea. Greensboro-born Marlette will appear at 3:30 p.m. this Friday in the Chapel Hill Public Library to discuss his recently released novel, "The Bridge."

Margery Thompson, a member of the FCHPL, summed up her sentiments for this tea's featured author.

"I'm really quite fond of him," she said.

She pointed to his humor as his most endearing characteristic. The first time he appeared at a Meet-the-Author Tea, he brought along a slide show of some of his comic strips and political cartoons.

"We fell over laughing," Thompson said.

Perhaps it's not a surprise that Marlette's slide show will make a return appearance this time.

But the success of Marlette's career has stretched far beyond his legendary slide shows. He won the Pulitzer Prize in 1988 for his editorial cartoons, just one of several awards he has received, and his cartoons, including Kudzu, are syndicated in newspapers all over the world.

Beyond the world of journalism, he has also co-written a screenplay with Pat Conroy and adapted his comic strip into a musical with the help of musical group The Red Clay Ramblers.

Thompson was particularly complimentary of "Kudzu: The Musical."

"It was a stitch," she said.

After spending years finding fame in Atlanta and New York, Marlette embarked on his most recent career venture, "The Bridge," upon his return to North Carolina.

Thompson said many are suspicious that the novel is semi-autobiographical, stemming from Marlette's move to Hillsborough several years ago.

Published in October 2001, "The Bridge," depicts a successful newspaper cartoonist who returns to his roots in North Carolina and discovers family secrets.

"He weaves in the problems of the textile industry of the 1930s with this character's move to Hillsborough," Thompson said.

But no matter Marlette's inspiration, Thompson is delighted with his appearance at the Meet-the-Author Tea and his willingness to visit several area book clubs.

"We do this for the love (of literature)," she said, "and so does he."

For more information, call 968-2780 or visit www.friendschpl.org.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.