CCB Robbed Wednesday; No Suspects Yet

Carrboro Police Capt. Joel Booker said an unknown man entered the bank at 12:45 p.m. Witnesses told police the man was holding a black handgun, which police described as a semiautomatic pistol.

"Upon entering the bank, the man began yelling several times, 'Give me the money,'" Booker said.

Employees told police that the armed robber then jumped over the counter and told the tellers to lie down on the floor, Booker said.

Once all tellers were on the floor, the armed robber opened the cash registers and loaded an undisclosed amount of cash into a dark bag, which he had brought with him, Booker said. The subject left the bank minutes later.

Booker added that a witness, who was coming to the bank as the robbery was ending, saw a new, white two-door car speeding away from the bank. The witness believed the car was a General Motors product.

The witness also noticed that the man in the vehicle appeared to have heavy, dark clothing covering most of his body, Booker said.

The car left the Carrboro Plaza parking lot and headed south on Old Fayetteville Road, Booker said.

Employees described the armed robber as a black male, probably in his early 20s, between 5 feet 5 inches and 5 feet 8 inches tall.

Employees of the bank told police that the robber was wearing all dark clothing, a ski mask and some type of hooded sweatshirt.

But Wednesday's incident wasn't the first time the CCB's Carrboro branch has been robbed at gunpoint, Booker said. "I think this the second time in two years," he said.

In October 2000, a suspect entered the building and inquired about opening an account. The suspect then produced a semiautomatic handgun and threatened the teller, giving the teller a bag to fill with money. The case is still under investigation.

Officials have not indicated that there is any reason to believe the two incidents are linked.

Booker said there are no suspects in Wednesday's robbery.

"We have nothing right now," Booker said. "It is still very early on."

Booker said all pieces will be critical to pinpointing a suspect but stressed the importance of gathering details from sources not inside the bank.

Booker said "We are lucky that someone was outside."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.