Four to Be Reckoned With: Women's Track Wins ACCs; Men's Team Places 3rd

Led by a group of first-place finishers, the UNC women's track and field team won its second straight ACC title.

UNC finished with 176.50 points, 47.50 ahead of second-place. Florida State.

FSU took the men's championship with 201.50 points. Clemson was second with 158 points and North Carolina came in third with 118 points.

In the women's meet, Tar Heel sophomore Shalane Flanagan broke her own ACC meet record in the 1,500 meters with an NCAA automatic qualifying time of 4 minutes, 16.19 seconds. Teammate Alice Schmidt won her second consecutive 800-meter run with an automatic time of 2:04.74.

Edi Ntuen won the 400-meter dash with an NCAA provisional time of 52.78, and Tiffany Flomo took first in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 58.24, also a provisional time.

UNC's 4x400-meter relay team of Ntuen, Schmidt, Flomo and Lindsay Bond took first place. Bond also finished third in the 400-meter hurdles (59.87).

Laura Gerraughty was second in the shot put with an automatic result of 53 feet, 10 1/4 inches after finishing second in the hammer and discus on Friday.

Erin Donohue followed Friday's javelin win with a fourth-place finish in the 1500-meter run (4:21.90) and a fifth-place 800-meter showing (2:08.51).

Also for the UNC women, Ibiene Bilaye-Benibo placed third in the shot put with a provisional mark of 48-11 3/4.

Kiera Underwood took second in the heptathlon (4,857).

For the men's team, Sal Gigante followed Friday's discus title with a win in the shot put (58-0 1/2) and a second place in the hammer (191-0). Ian Douglas finished second in the shot at 57-2 3/4.

Adam Shunk and Michael Cvelbar each met provisional marks in winning their respective events. Cvelbar placed first in the decathlon with 7,211 points, and Shunk won the high jump with a height of 7-3 3/4.

Brent Callaway won the men's pole vault at a height of 17-2 3/4 on Friday.