Lesser-Known Candidates Debate at N.C. State

Elaine Marshall and a representative of Erskine Bowles were scheduled to attend the Democratic debate but were not there.

"Vote, vote vote," he said. "If you don't vote for me, then for God's sake vote for somebody."

Tidwell joined three other lesser-known Democratic U.S. Senate candidates to speak before a crowd of about 20 people at N.C. State University on Thursday night for the 2002 U.S. Senate Candidate Forum sponsored by the N.C. State College Democrats and student government.

The four candidates -- Tidwell, Cynthia Brown, Albert L. Wiley and Randy Crow -- fielded questions from audience members in a 1 1/2-hour question-and-answer session in which the candidates repeatedly stressed their platforms.

Tidwell said he favors a return to 1950s-style national tax structure, increasing punishment and responsibility for students in public schools and increasing the size of the military.

He added that the current tax structure places most of the burden on the poor. "The sales tax, for example, places the tax burden on the little man," he said. "Well, tell me what money the poor man has to pay taxes with?"

Tidwell said apathy among voters also impedes democracy. "I look here at the empty seats, and I find it appalling to not see them filled," he said.

Brown, a former member of the Durham City Council, said she wants to focus on public policy reform. She said she will work to reform national workers' rights, welfare, health care and environmental programs.

Brown also attacked the North American Free Trade Agreement. Brown said the cheaper labor available in other countries leads American workers to work harder for less, which creates a "climate of anger" toward welfare recipients.

Wiley, former director of the East Carolina University Cancer Center, said his past experiences in working with the government give him useful insight into government infrastructure. He said he wants to eliminate pork-barrel political appointments. "I sincerely believe we need someone in the Senate for oversight," he said.

Crow said he wants to campaign for peace. President Bush, he said, has gotten sidetracked with the war on terrorism and is not doing everything he can to promote world peace. He added that he thinks it would be a mistake to vote to send United Nations peacekeeping troops to help pacify the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

U.S. Senate candidate Elaine Marshall and a representative from Erskine Bowles' campaign were scheduled to attend, but both failed to appear.

Heather Griswold, the office assistant to N.C. State student government who helped coordinate the event, said she was disappointed in the low turnout. "This is the first year we've done this," she said. "But we've learned a lot of things we can use in the future."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.