Local Scout Troops Plan to Cope With Funding Loss

Triangle United Way officials voted Tuesday to cut funds for the Occoneechee Council of the Boy Scouts of America because the group refused to comply with a Triangle United Way policy statement affirming nondiscrimination against gay scouts.

Thomas Dugger, CEO of the Occoneechee Council, said the council could not comply with Triangle United Way's new certification policy because it is required to adhere to rules dictated by its national charter.

"We're disappointed -- we regret that (Triangle United Way) has not changed their decision to certify agencies," Dugger said. "(But) it's out of our jurisdiction as far as changing the (national) bylaws."

Dugger said membership in the scouts -- either as a scout member or as a troop leader -- is based on a declaration of religious principle.

"A scout's first duty is to God -- nothing has changed about the Boy Scouts of America," he said. "We feel that (our program) certainly should be continued."

The Occoneechee Council receives $300,000 annually from Triangle United Way -- almost half of the $670,000 in total funds donated to the council by several United Way branches in North Carolina.

The total funds from the United Way are donated to the council through two methods -- general allocations and individual pledges. The Triangle branch's recent decision will not bar individuals from making private donations to the scouts on behalf of United Way.

But Dave Gephart, chairman of the Orange district of the Occoneechee Council, said the decrease in finances will not affect the program's main objective: to provide a learning experience for scouts.

Gephart said although the local scout units receive funding from the Occoneechee Council, the Orange district itself does not receive any financial revenue from the council.

"Most of us working at the volunteer level are looking past the politics and looking at the program and are continuing to support scouting," he said.

Craig Chancellor, president of Triangle United Way, said it is the council's refusal to comply with nondiscriminatory policies that led to the decision to cut funding.

"We have a policy that all agencies should provide services without discrimination, including sexual orientation," Chancellor said. "Every kid deserves the opportunity to be a scout. It has nothing to do with the leaders -- it's the kids."

Chancellor said the cut in funding would not go into effect until June 2003.

"(But) I don't think (the funding cuts) will have an adverse impact on their budget," he said. "I think they'll be able to find money by private donations."

Dugger said covering the loss in funding from Triangle United Way will be a significant challenge for the council.

"We're going to have to focus more on our own fund-raising initiatives," he said. "The big shame of all this is that it takes a lot of time to raise money. ... The immediate impact will be the time it takes to raise money."

In the meantime, Gephart said, local scout officials and troop leaders will continue striving to provide an enriching learning experience for the scouts.

"This is an insignificant or irrelevant issue in the day-to-day running of scouting," Gephart said. "Our concern is putting on a program for kids to have fun."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.