Noted Speaker Draws Crowd At 5th Hi Mom! Film Festival

The festival, which ended Saturday after showing 40 short films by 38 different filmmakers, featured filmmaker Albert Maysles as a keynote speaker. For the past 47 years, Maysles has shown viewers the stories of celebrities and ordinary people alike.

He spoke on the art of documentary filmmaking following the showing of several short films.

The short film "Somewhere Here I Was Born," a piece by Tony Gault, opened the festival. It preceded Stephanie Lucas' "Once About Water Towers" and Brett Ingram and Jim Haverkamp's "Armor of God."

Two of Maysles' early documentary works followed the short films.

"I think they still hold up," Maysles said of his films. "But I'll let you be the judge." Maysles showed "With Love from Truman," a look at eccentric author Truman Capote, and "Meet Marlon Brando," a film focusing on the brash, tongue-in-cheek Hollywood icon.

The festival staff was thrilled by the prospect of such a famous keynote speaker. "It was really inspirational," said Hi Mom! team member Courtney Graham. "(Maysles) seemed like he had a really good grasp of human nature through what he was doing."

Maysles opened his talk with a critique of the short films. He applauded the filmmakers' approaches to filming. "No narration, thank God," he joked.

Throughout the presentation, Maysles spoke passionately on film as an aid to understanding the world. "Isn't it about time that we began to make films that are dramatic, that depict the real courage of people?" he said.

He saved his best advice for the question-and-answer session following his talk. When asked what suggestions documentarians should follow, he urged them to approach their subjects with empathy. "If (the subjects) feel that you have that kind of compassion, that you have that kind of openness of mind, then they will give you their heart and souls," he said.

He also encouraged filmmakers to avoid prejudices about their material. "When you establish a point of view as the basis for making a film, you're only simplifying things. And you submit yourself to the tyranny of being governed by simple solutions," he said.

Ever the critic, Maysles had strong words for the media and the film industry. He scoffed at the prevalent Hollywood attitude that one needs conflict to have drama, pointing to his film "Salesman" as a prime example of drama without a violent struggle.

Above all, Maysles stressed the importance of documentary films and the bonds they form between people.

He said, "It is entertaining, but not entertaining as a diversion -- as most entertainment is on television -- but as an engagement, so that you feel connected, at long last, with other people."

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.