Parking Plan Changes Under Way

Administrators are working on a revised parking proposal, saying they will continue to include all campus members in the process.

He said the offices of Nancy Suttenfield, vice chancellor for finance and administration, and Carolyn Elfland, associate vice chancellor for campus services, have already begun the process of designing a new plan, which the BOT said should not include a night parking permit system.

Moeser said he hopes a new plan will be drafted in time for the BOT to hold a special meeting April 25 to consider the proposal, although he said he did not yet have any idea what the new plan might include.

The original parking proposal, which would have allowed students to purchase a night parking permit for $122, prompted concerns about safety and campus access among BOT members at last Thursday's meeting.

Students also raised concerns about the proposal, especially its campus security elements. Student Body President Justin Young presented a letter to the board Thursday, written by graduate student Daniel Herman and carrying the signatures of 100 students, that objected to a night parking permit plan because of its effects on safety, access and student life.

By a vote of 6-5 with two trustees absent, the BOT passed a motion from Trustee Richard Stevens to send the proposal back to University officials for redrafting.

Although administrators are currently working to develop a new parking plan, Moeser said other members of the campus community will be actively involved in the development process.

"We will certainly engage students involved in (the Transportation and Parking Advisory Committee)," he said. "Student representation, faculty and staff will absolutely be a part of our discussions."

TPAC members originally drafted a plan in February that would have levied an across-the-board $5 student fee increase to raise revenue for the Department of Public Safety. TPAC's fee proposal was rejected by the vice chancellors March 19 in favor of their own night parking permit plan.

Both plans were drafted to raise needed revenue to cover DPS's projected $2 million budget deficit.

Moeser said UNC administrators are now working toward developing a new parking proposal that will be presented at the proposed special emergency meeting of the BOT.

But before specific plans will be developed, Moeser said he will discuss the new proposal with University vice chancellors today in the administrators' normally scheduled weekly meeting.

Moeser said he does not know what process will be employed to guide the modified parking plan or what direction the new proposal will take.

He did not specify any elements that might be included in the new plan, saying it was too early to get a sense of its content.

But he did emphasize the importance of other UNC officials in creating the new plan. "The proposal doesn't come from me but from the people who have developed it before."