Public Art Committee Broadens Proposal

The committee removed specific details from the proposal, making it more general and flexible to the University's budgetary needs.

Instead of requesting $10 million from the University's construction budget, the committee is requesting $5 million from ongoing University funds and plans to generate $5 million from private gifts through the Office of Development.

Arts Carolina Director Amy Brannock, a member of the planning committee, said making the recommendations less specific will increase the chances of the proposal's acceptance by Chancellor James Moeser and ease negotiations. "It will give him more flexibility to look for a variety of funding sources," she said.

The committee also added to the recommendations the establishment of a public art program manager in the Department of Facilities Planning & Construction, of which committee member Anna Wu serves as project director. If the position is created, the program manager would report to Nancy Suttenfield, vice chancellor for finance and administration.

"The program will really need to be at a fairly high level in the administration," Brannock said.

The program manager would serve as a point person and supervisor for the entire public art program rather than responsibilities being spread across various departments or each public art venue being responsible for managing its own displays.

Brannock added that the position would be crucial to the incorporation of public art projects into the University's ongoing construction and planning.

She also said the position of program manager is being modeled after a similar position -- architectural historian -- that is in the process of being established. The architectural historian would act as a curator for historic buildings on campus.

"It makes sense to have the two working together," she said.

The creation of a public art program is something the committee believes holds great value for UNC's intellectual and aesthetic climate.

Don Luse, director of the Carolina Union and a member of the committee, said the program will enrich and extend UNC's learning tools.

"We have to show that education happens outside of the classroom," he said.

The proposal will undergo final tweaking and polishing during the next two weeks and then will be resubmitted to the committee via e-mail. Committee members will be given about a week to make any last changes or recommendations. Brannock said she hopes the proposal will be submitted to Moeser for approval by May 11 to help ensure a public art program becomes a part of UNC within the next fiscal year.

The planning committee also hopes that once the proposal gains approval from Moeser, he will take the next steps toward establishing the program.

"I hope he would charge a committee and identify an advisory committee," Wu said.

Such committees would be able to give the public art program more specific goals and help the program truly begin to take shape.

Committee member and art Professor Jim Hirschfield said, "The only way a master plan (for public art) can begin is if a team is hired."

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.