Red-Hot Pinchbeck Leads Tennis to Win

A relaxed Kate Pinchbeck won her 18th straight match as the UNC women's tennis team beat Notre Dame.

Kate Pinchbeck of the seventh-ranked North Carolina women's tennis team improved her record this year to an impressive 18-0 on Tuesday.

And she wasn't even thinking about it.

Pinchbeck's teamates followed her focused example, beating No. 23 Notre Dame 6-1 at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.

"It's a scary number," Pinchbeck said. "I'm just playing one match at a time. You just cannot think of the outcome."

Pinchbeck, playing No. 2 singles, beat Notre Dame's Nina Vaughan 6-1, 6-4.

Pinchbeck effectively sealed the second set, and later the match, by winning a break that put her up 5-4.

"The thing about Kate is that she doesn't let up in a match," said UNC coach Jen Callen. "She's always going to step in and never give the free points."

The rest of the team seemed to follow Pinchbeck's tenacious yet relaxed example, especially UNC's Julie Rotondi, who beat Lindsey Green 6-1, 6-2.

"Its obvious how much better I play when I am relaxed," Rotondi said. "Once I stopped worrying about the results, I started playing well."

The Tar Heels' relaxation was furthered by Marlene Mejia's and Rotondi's 9-8 (7-4) win against Notre Dame's Katie Cunha and Green to clinch the doubles point before singles play began.

"The momentum stayed with us after the doubles point was won," Callen said. "That always helps you relax and stay confident."

All-American Mejia won her No. 1 singles match 6-2, 7-5 against Becky Varnum of the Irish (11-10).

UNC's Lee Bairos beat Cunha in the only three-setter, 4-6, 6-0, 6-0 while Tar Heel Kendall Cline won 7-6 (7-3), 6-0 against Sarah Jane Connelly.

The only point lost for UNC (15-3) came at the No. 4 seed, where Aniela Mojzis lost to Alicia Salas 6-3, 7-6 (7-3).

The match was important for the Tar Heels, which hope to carry momentum into today's showdown with No. 3 Wake Forest.

"I don't think we can be in a better situation coming into the match," Callen said. "The team is building upon confidence, tenacity, and a lot of heart."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.