Resident to Ask Board to Keep Program Alive

Because of the lack of funding and volunteers, the center's after-school program expects to close its doors by the end of April, but a full-time coordinator would prevent the program from shutting down.

Virginia Barbee, a volunteer at the center, said she plans to petition the board because the community center is in desperate need of funding for the after-school coordinator.

"If we don't get anybody, (the after-school program) will close again," she said.

Since it opened in 1968, the community center's after-school program has been forced to shut down several times due to a lack of volunteers. The program was forced to shut down last December, but reopened again this past March.

Ted Parrish, a member of the Pines Community Inc. board of directors, said that although the program has had its ups and downs, the after-school tutorial services have significantly improved the students' academic performance.

"You keep hearing about the educational gap between minority children and white children," Parrish said. "This (program) really helps the kids -- the teachers say it, the parents say it, the kids say it."

Parrish said the program helps students improve their math and computer skills but that the real emphasis is on reading.

Jeneene Patterson, the intern director, said the program usually has about 15 students -- ranging from third to eighth grade -- who regularly come in the afternoon. "We need a full-time coordinator for the after-school program," she said. "Instead, (we have) volunteers popping in and out and one day open and one day close."

Patterson is a senior at N.C. Central University and said that once finals begin, she will be unable to volunteer with the program. As the only full-time volunteer, Patterson said her responsibilities include helping students with their homework, providing snacks and walking each of the students home.

Parrish said the program needs a full-time coordinator to fulfill some of Patterson's responsibilities after she leaves. "At the end of every college academic year, for a period of time, we struggle to (find another volunteer who will help) until the end of the public school year," he said.

Parrish said he finds it disturbing that UNC students who live near the community center have not offered any assistance for the after-school program.

Barbee said the program's key concern right now is obtaining funding for a full-time staff worker. "We've gotten some small grants but never enough to pay a salary," Barbee said.

School board member Nick Didow said the board will give the petition full consideration. "But this is the time of year when we try and see if we can adequately fund the needs of the community."

Barbee said she hopes the board considers the program's contribution to the community. "We need help -- we don't want our program to close."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.