UNC Dogs Retrievers To Snap Losing Streak

North Carolina used a 7-1 second-half run to pull away from UMBC for the team's first win since March 20.

Looking at the schedule, UNC coach John Haus' squad probably thought the Senior Day game against Maryland-Baltimore County on Saturday would be just what it needed to cure its losing ways.

And yet, with 12 minutes left at Kenan Stadium, the Retrievers only trailed the No. 7 Tar Heels 10-8.

Five unanswered UNC goals later, including three of the extra-man opportunity variety, the Tar Heels were well on their way to a 15-11 win.

Jed Prossner scored five goals and dished out an assist, and senior midfielder Pat Jackson added a hat trick and two assists as the Tar Heels (7-3) ended their skid.

"It's getting to the point where every game we play is a playoff game," Prossner said. "My goal is to help the team get to the playoffs, and then to go deep into the playoffs."

As with nearly every game North Carolina has won this year, the Tar Heels jumped out to an early lead. Jackson and Steven Will each scored twice in the first quarter as UNC built a 6-2 advantage.

But for the Tar Heels, an early lead usually is followed by a spell of inconsistency -- and Saturday was no exception.

The Retrievers (3-5) crept back into the game, led by hat tricks from Adam Shiley and Justin Smith. Shiley's goal, a long-range shot at the 5:48 mark of the third quarter, pulled UMBC to within 8-7.

"I don't know what it is," Haus said of his team's lapse. "I've been trying to figure it out all season. Every game we've played we've had some sort of letdown."

While UNC's defense battled consistency problems, Haus looked to freshman goalie Paul Spellman to shore up the back. Spellman responded with 14 saves, 12 in the second half.

"Our flow wasn't there, and it took us a while to get used to what they were doing," Spellman said. "Our defense didn't play well for a stretch, and it's up to me to make some saves at that point."

Spellman's strong second-half play gave UNC's offense an opportunity to regroup, and the Tar Heels proceeded to put the game out of reach with a 7-1 run.

Freshman Bryant Will's two goals began and ended the run, the second of which gave UNC a 15-8 lead with 2:22 left in the contest.

But North Carolina's continued inability to put away weaker opponents early in the game has some of the Tar Heels concerned as the ACC Tournament nears.

"That's been a problem this year for our team -- resolve," Jackson said. "We haven't been able to put teams away when we've got them down."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.