Disband Breaks Rules, Steals Basement Sound

Sprawled out in a spread stance, guitarist Brian Bedsworth forced out chords with the exaggerated body movements of a prize fighter.

And sporting a sound that embodied the harder side of The Dismemberment Plan, Disband gave the crowd proof that the locals can keep up with the basement bands of larger cities.

Disband files nicely into a new category of rockers that passes on the minute rules of pop-rock, sticking to the stripped down basics of lyricism and performance.

The vocals supplied by Greg Collins were of the type often described as "having character." And most pieces never melodically settled into themselves -- but it sounded like that was the point.

In this sense, Disband has the markings of the cut-and-paste sound emerging from Chicago's underground rock scene. It typifies the growing Windy City sound, a lyrical, guitar-heavy response to the New York explosion of basement rock ushered in by the success of The Strokes.

Heavy on guitars, polished one minute and deconstructive the next, Disband shares Modest Mouse's effective disregard for the details of the pop-rock song formula, a willingness to deviate that has made the latter famous.

But Disband's ability to create a sound that breaks some rules was undermined by its willingness to break the cardinal rule of rock: Rock doesn't say it's sorry.

An excess of disclaimers for unfinished missed hooks robs audiences of the idea that the band isn't making mistakes, it's stylizing. This brings us to pop-rock rule No. 1: If you screw up, just pretend it's all part of your style.

Letting another lesser pop-rock performance rule slide, Disband provided a sound listeners could do some serious head-bobbing to but deprived them of something important -- their faces.

Estes and Bedsworth had their backs turned a majority of the time. It's a picky complaint, and at times the mysterious guitarist with his back to his audience is an effective style (read: Kurt Cobain). But the overuse of this stance breaks yet another key pop-rock rule: There can be only one uber-mysterious member per band.

Which isn't to say that Disband lacked style or that it wasn't a highly watchable show. Drummer Mark Dale played his set like a piano -- hunched over and making small, wrist-based movements. But Disband left something out -- themselves.

And this brings us to the ever-essential pop-rock rule No. 231: No matter how many pop-rock rules and formalities you forgo, you won't pull them off if you forget to bring yourself along for the ride.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.