Friday, June 21, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Men's Golf Swings for National Title

The golf team qualified for the tournament May 18 following a third-place finish at the NCAA East Regional, where the Tar Heels shot a team total of 877 and finished just one stroke behind regional co-champions Clemson and Georgia Tech, who finished at 876.

The tournament will be held at Ohio State's Scarlet Course.

The five-member North Carolina squad includes tri-captains Ramon Bescansa, Dustin Bray and Bob Cherry as well as juniors Jeremy Elliott and Brad Moldin.

Coach John Inman says he's proud of his team's progress and expects them to unleash their potential this weekend. "They're all playing very well, and they're all contributing toward good team scores," he said.

In the first part of the tournament, each five-member team is paired with two other teams.

The combined scores of each team determines who advances to the next round.

Inman says he is not concerned about the stiff competition his team can expect to face.

"We know there are 30 good golf teams there, so we're happy to be going and participating, obviously," he said.

"It's something that doesn't really matter who it is you're playing with because you're playing the golf course. You're not playing them individually."

The Tar Heels are gunning for their first team championship in school history. However, two players have won the individual championship -- Harvie Ward in 1949 and Inman in 1984.

The Sports Editor can be reached at

sports@unc.edu.