Schools Focus on Security

An attempted kidnapping at a local elementary school has led to a larger police and parent presence.

The incident took place at Carrboro's Frank Porter Graham Elementary School, next to Kingswood Apartments, the home of the man charged with the crime.

Since the assault, a Chapel Hill police officer has patrolled the grounds of the school and numerous parent volunteers keep watch over children walking to and from classes.

Ross McGlothlin, assistant principal at Frank Porter Graham, said the school has recovered well from the incident.

"We have a very active PTA, and our PTA president-elect has been on the phone, calling parent volunteers," he said.

McGlothlin said that between 40 and 50 parents, including several UNC professors, have been acting as campus safety monitors since the incident.

"The parents are watching the children moving between class, looking for kids who get separated from their groups," he said.

And the way the children get from place to place has changed in response to the incident. "In the past, if an older child wanted to take a book to the library or get a Band-Aid from the office, they could go alone," McGlothlin said."Now, all children must be accompanied by an adult."

Despite the presence of a police officer at Frank Porter Graham, the bulk of school security is the responsibility of each individual school.

Chapel Hill police spokeswoman Jane Cousins said police officers don't station themselves on school campuses.

"We have a resource officer at each high school and middle school," Cousins said. "Frank Porter Graham is the only other school with an officer on its campus."

McGlothlin said he is pleased with police support and input on campus security.

"We have a Chapel Hill police investigator currently evaluating the safety of our campus," he said. "The main area of concern is the wooded area between the school and apartment complex."

McGlothlin said two suggestions to improve security are raising a fence around the school and clearing the heavy foliage around the school.

"The school board has said they would be open to the idea of erecting a fence around the school." McGlothlin said. "We also are looking into the possibility of clearing some of the growth while maintaining a nature trail we have in the woods."

Since the incident at Frank Porter Graham, there have been two reported incidents at Chapel Hill High School in which students were placed in dangerous situations.

One student was arrested while illegally carrying knives on campus, and three days prior, a public display at the high school was set on fire by unknown people. Chapel Hill High administrators could not be reached for comment.

Despite the incidents, McGlothlin said community response has been positive.

"We had a large meeting with parents, an assistant superintendent and a police representative. Parents were concerned but supportive of our efforts."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.