Mayflies USA: Walking in a Straight Line

The Mayflies USA

Walking in a Straight Line

The Mayflies USA's newest album, Walking in a Straight Line, is perfect for sweating the summer away.

Bouncing poppy lyrics are layered over energetic drums and guitar riffs. The songs are light, simple and perfect for lounging around.

They might even be compared to the simple forms of early rock 'n' roll, which the band cites as an influence.

Some songs seem reminiscent of the Foo Fighters' "Big Me." They are fun and slightly quirky, with high vocal harmonies and lazy drums -- making the songs fluffier than grandma's pancakes.

Although the tunes sound light, this band shows no flightiness or lack of talent. Its music and lyrics are tightly connected, and each guitar solo drifts effortlessly into the next track.

Walking in a Straight Line is seamless. The songs coast into one another, making an uninterrupted stream of pleasant music.

The title track is a charming and upbeat ballad. Lighthearted lyrics are positioned over steady guitar and drums. The catchy chorus quips, "Are you riding for a fall/You've got me walking in a straight line/Long time, last time, anytime at all."

The Mayflies USA might be heavily influenced by other bands, but its recycling of old school rock 'n' roll is refreshing, and its path strays from the norm. Simple and streamlined, the album is a welcome change.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.