Hiller Appoints ASG Delegates to Represent UNC

The four appointed delegates, two of whom will have voting power, will represent the interests of UNC-CH students in the ASG.

Sophomores Tre Jones and Colin Rogister will serve as voting delegates. Juniors Amanda Taylor and Charity Sturdivant will represent UNC-Chapel Hill at the ASG meetings but will not be able to vote.

Student Body President Jen Daum will serve as a third voting representative.

UNC-Chapel Hill and the other 15 UNC-system schools each have four delegates in the organization.

Jones, a math decision sciences major from Raleigh, said he is hoping to use his experience as an intern at Democracy South to lobby the legislature for the ASG.

Jones said he sees the ASG as a go-between for UNC-CH and the N.C. General Assembly and that he was interested in the position because he wanted a job where he could do something outside of Chapel Hill that would help Chapel Hill students.

He said his first concern will be to make sure that the ASG uses its increased funding wisely.

In April, the ASG approved a new $165,000 budget based on a systemwide $1 student fee for the organization. Previously, the organization's budget was about $4,000.

Jones also said he hopes to improve Chapel Hill students' faith in the ASG. "In the past, the ASG has kind of got a bad rap on campus," he said.

Rogister, a public policy major from Raleigh, has spent two summers interning at the N.C. Center for Voter Education and said he hopes his experience with the legislature will help him prepare for his work with the ASG.

Rogister said his role is to listen to the voices of students on campus and relay them to the ASG.

"UNC-Chapel Hill students have been leaders in the ASG in the past, and we hope to continue that tradition," he said.

Rogister said it is important that UNC-CH's delegation be vigilant in overseeing the use of the ASG funds because the UNC-CH delegates represent the most students in the UNC system and therefore the plurality of funding.

Hiller said he was "exceptionally impressed" with all of the 24 applicants for the voting positions. "We turned away a lot of people who are very qualified, but we need the right mix of people," he said.

Last year there were eight applicants for the positions.

Hiller said he thinks the increase in interest is partially because this year's student government officers started recruiting early and targeted groups that are traditionally underrepresented by student government and partly due to the fact that many students are interested in making changes to student government at UNC-CH this year.

"We're coming off a really frustrating year," Hiller said. "People were looking for some kind of change -- any kind of change."