'K-19' Dives for U.S., Russia Cooperation

"K-19: The Widowmaker"

Cursed from the beginning, K-19, Russia's first nuclear ballistic missile submarine was fated for the dry docks. The film, however, has a more uplifting future.

Director Kathryn Bigelow ("Strange Days," "Point Break"), successfully captures both the emotional and political facets of the Cold War in "K-19: The Widowmaker."

Set in 1961, a time of fragile relations between the United States and Russia, a nuclear holocaust lies on the horizon.

Desperate to prove its nuclear capabilities, Russia's highest political leaders urge the military to a state of readiness it cannot reach. Depicting the military as severely under-supplied and ill-prepared, the movie foreshadows disaster from the beginning.

Capt. Mikhail Polenin (Liam Neeson) has been removed from his post as commander of the K-19 for placing the welfare of his crew above that of the state. However, Polenin is ordered to stay on the boat as executive officer, and Capt. Alexei Vostrikov (Harrison Ford), his replacement, creates a high level of tension in the film.

Neeson, who plays a protective, fatherly figure, thinks of his men as a family.

Ford's character, a hard-nosed, by-the-book leader, pushes the crew and the boat to their maximum limits.

This creates numerous conflicts between the two men, whose personalties and leadership styles are polar opposites of each other.

Though Ford's character is admirable and centered in the spotlight as he is placed under tremendous pressure, it is Neeson's underdog performance as a man struggling with his duty to his crew versus duty to his country that really shines.

Suspense steadily builds as the nuclear reactor aboard the K-19 begins to leak coolant and the core temperature creeps toward its maximum.

The situation appears grim and the Russian sailors helpless until a U.S. Navy destroyer contacts the K-19 offering assistance.

Captain Vostrikov is then faced with a difficult choice: Abandon the boat and save his men, perhaps at the risk of being labeled a traitor, or dive to a safe depth and attempt to fix the leak, thereby avoiding a nuclear explosion that could trigger nuclear war.

A few warnings, though: Prepare to be subjected to poorly executed Russian accents, as they fade in and out. Perhaps not the best choice of cultural authentication.

And though there is no violence in the film, be prepared for a few graphic scenes illustrating the shocking effects of radiation exposure.

Emotionally powerful and entertaining, "K-19: The Widowmaker" is a historical film with all the components for a successful launch.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.