Tuition Increase in Fall Bills

UNC administrators might have to send out new bills in the fall if the General Assembly changes tuition.

But these increases have yet to be approved by the N.C. General Assembly.

Rob Nelson, UNC-system associate vice president for finance, said that under state law, the UNC-system Board of Governors is responsible for setting tuition.

Nelson said that because the legislature has not yet ruled on the BOG's tuition proposal, the tuition increases stand as is. "That's the board's recommendation, and it's being considered by the General Assembly," he said.

The budget approved by the state Senate included the tuition increases as approved by the BOG, but it is still unknown what changes, if any, the House will try to make to the plan.

Dennis Press, UNC-CH controller, said that tuition amounts are set by the BOG and the General Assembly but that the schedule for billing is set by each individual university. The bills are sent out at the same time each year and are based on the best information available at the time, he said.

Press said the University sends out bills for tuition as early as possible -- even if the numbers are not yet finalized -- because officials want to give students as much time as possible to pay or make arrangements to pay.

Students who do not pay are subject to cancellation so their seats can be offered to other students, he said.

Press said that the billing cycle is on a tight schedule and that it was important that the bills be sent without waiting for the final word from the legislature.

Because the 8 percent in-state, 12 percent out-of-state and $300 campus-initiated increases have all been approved by the BOG and are being reviewed by the General Assembly, those increases were included in the bills for next year.

Press said the use of approved rates is coordinated with the office of the UNC-system president so that all 16 campuses will be consistent.

If the General Assembly increases the percentage of the rates, students will be sent additional bills for the extra amount, he said. If they approve a smaller raise -- most likely by doing away with the campus-initiated increases -- the University Cashier's office will credit the student account of those student who have already paid the larger amount so that they can get a refund, he said.

Nelson said he can not predict what the General Assembly will do but that if it makes changes to the BOG's proposal, UNC-system schools will have to re-bill students for the correct amount. "Whatever amount of work it would take, they would have to rebill."