ArtsCenter Survives Budget Woes

But that doesn't mean it will be shutting down any time soon.

Judi Cooper, developing and marketing director at the ArtsCenter, said that despite economic troubles she doesn't expect major changes in the schedule, programming and focus of the ArtsCenter.

Because the majority of its funding -- more than 75 percent -- comes from tickets sales and class tuition, the ArtsCenter will be able to absorb any blows resulting from a cut in state funding. On average, only about 2 percent of the center's funding comes from state support.

Cooper said, however, that the center might face as much as a 25 percent cut. She noted that when the economy is in tumultuous times, it is harder to find donations for unexpected expenses.

"We recently lost two air-conditioning units, and because of the difficult times the money just isn't there to replace them," Cooper said. "But it is also in these hard times that the community really pulls together -- projects become a great collaboration, a great effort."

In the spirit of the community, the ArtsCenter organized a "Beat the Heat" event, which took place Friday, to raise money to replace its air conditioners.

Among many other donators, Top of the Hill and Carolina Brewery contributed kegs of beer while Amante's Gourmet Pizza fed the musicians -- all of whom performed for free.

This communal effort is a trait that will characterize many of the ArtsCenter's programs this year, Cooper said.

"Because times are so hard, we will not be adding a lot of new programs because we don't have the resources to support them," Cooper said. "Instead we will be focusing on what we do well, working with many different people to please as many people as possible."

Despite an uncertain future, modest gifts and moderate cutbacks, the ArtsCenter still hopes to grow and never lose sight of its vision.

"We will still keep looking for enterprising ventures and still remain a central presence in the community," Cooper said. "That is really what the ArtsCenter is all about -- the spirit of the community."

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.