Candidates Highlight O.C. Issues

4 Democrats vie for commissioner posts

The forum, which was held in the Chapel Hill Town Council chambers, featured the Democratic candidates for the Orange County Board of Commissioners.

The candidates are current board Chairman Barry Jacobs, incumbents Alice Gordon and Stephen Halkiotis, and Democratic challenger Keith Cook. The three candidates selected to represent the Democratic party in the general election following the Sept. 10 primary will face Republican challengers Jamie Daniel and Robin Staudt for three seats on the board.

The forum started with opening statements from the candidates. The incumbents took the opportunity to highlight their past achievements in office, while newcomer Cook attempted to gain footing among a group of candidates with more than 25 years of county government experience between them.

"I have spent 14 years serving in volunteer and elected roles in Orange County," Cook said. "I am running because I feel I can make a contribution."

Gordon touted her reign on the board as the work of "the three E's."

"When you think of Alice Gordon, think of the three E's: excellent schools, environmental protection and efficient and responsive county services."

Halkiotis cited his 18 years on the board as proof of his electability.

"I was elected in '86 and re-elected again in '90, '94 and '98 because the views that I hold are the same views the people of Orange County hold."

Jacobs said his love of the job is why he keeps running for re-election.

"I love what I do, and I am proud of what we have accomplished," he said. "I say 'we' because though we run as individuals, we work as a team and teamwork is very important to me."

All the candidates spent their limited speaking time promoting the issues that resonate most with them, with human services being one of the evening's most frequently mentioned topics. When asked how the county had dealt and would continue to deal with the trickle-down effect state budget problems have on the area, the candidates said the choices were limited.

"We approved the sales tax ... because in Orange County we do not leave kids in the street, we do not leave sick people in the street. That is not how we treat people," Halkiotis said, referring to what he considers to be the entire board's continued commitment to preserving the quality of human services while facing one of the worst budget crisises in state history.

Jacobs and Gordon agreed with Halkiotis, saying the board approved the half-cent sales tax because it "had no other options" and it was the "lesser of two evils." Cook said he would have voted for it had he been on the board.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.